Sunday, November 8, 2009

Book Review: Liar by Justine Larbalestier

I have referenced this book a couple times in the last week on some posts and I have finally finished the novel. Let me tell you that I NEED somebody else to read this book so I can DISCUSS this novel. I don't know what to think and need to speak my thoughts.


With that being said I can tell you a few things, but only a few as the author has made it very clear to not spoil anything about the book for the people who have not read it yet. If you don't believe me, then check our her blog.


The main character is not your typical narrator. I have not read anything of the likes of Micah before. She is completely unreliable as she is a compulsive liar. Micah goes against everything you are forced to read in school and probably most of what you read for enjoyment. I am trying to think of narrators who were liars.......let me ponder some more.


My thoughts on this book are befuddled because I need to talk about it. I have many questions. I don't think I have read a book that left me with this many questions. I did not know hat to expect when I picked this book up, but I was very interested based on the jacket sleeve.


I cannot add much about the plot because I don't want to add any bias to you if you choose to read the novel. I laughed, became angry, confused, but thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it because I was never comfortable in predicting what would happen next. It was just too hard to know exactly where the next twist would happen. Micah lies and lies and lies and does so much that you don't know what is real and what is not. Some lies were so obvious, but yet...AGGHHH I cannot say. Some I could figure out and others I refused to believe were true and they were. Others I really believed only to find out they were lies and I thought to myself, "You are such an idiot for believing Micah!"


There were a couple things that I did not care for, but when is a book ever perfect. This is a book that will keep you guessing right up to the very end. The major "twist" of the novel you will never expect, but then again it is so far out there that maybe you don't believe it yourself. Maybe I don't believe. Who knows what I think. Read the book and let us talk.


Here is the trailer in case this helps at all.


No comments: