Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Training - Week 3 - Tuesday 4 Mile Run and 1st time on Bike

Today starts my first day of my marathon training.

I really have my mind set on it this time.

I thought I had my focus last time I tried, but I was not in the same place mentally as I am right now. I am in a good place.

I am better prepared and taking better care of my body.

This morning I decided to do what my buddy does and ride my bike to the YMCA. Now I don't have a special bike by any means. I am not lucky enough to own a true riding bike that you can lift with your finger.

My bike looks like this:

I bought this bike at Target about three years ago for around $100. The closest thing I can find online is this one. Anyways, this bike has sat around my shed and garage not being used. I had bought one of the Garmin Cadence Sensors a while back when I thought about training for a triathlon before realizing the sport was too expensive for me at this moment in time.

After two miles of riding two miles in 8:42 at 13.9 mph my quads were dead. I got off the bike and my butt hurt and my legs felt like jelly.

However, I jumped out to a great start running. There was three of us today and that was nice to have more to the group.

Today was supposed to be a 4 mile EZ run. However, I did not realize how quick I jumped out until they told me to slow down. I ran the 4 miles in 29:24 which is a 7:20 pace. This is probably the fastest I have ran ever for this type of distance.

I accomplished my 4 mile run goal of running under 30 minutes for a race coming up. On July 9th I plan on running the Moonlight Chase which is a 4 mile run. My goal was under 30, but since I just did that this morning I am now shooting for under 29. We will see.

After the run and some stretching, I had a cup of coffee(not giving up that routine) and jumped back on the bike to head home. Rode the 2 miles in 9:17 which was a good way to start the morning.

If I could start every morning this way, life would be great.

Now off to avoid the 100+ temperatures coming our way.

Keep pushing for your goals.

Remember that you almost always feel better after a run than before it.

No comments: