Monday, November 21, 2011

Training - Monday Swim

Here I am training for my 13th day in a row. My shoulders are sore from the swim class yesterday, but I wanted to get a swim in today because looking at my schedule for the week I don't know if I will have time to access a pool other than today. Despite being tired this morning I made my way to the pool and had a great workout session.

I swam 5 laps to warm up working on swimming slow and just focusing on my breathing and technique. I was trying to think about all things from the swim class yesterday. There is a lot to think about, but taking things one at a time really helps. Trying to put them all together is another story.

After my warm-up I put on fins for the first time to work on my kick. The fins really do help work on proper technique. I swam in the streamline position nice and easy just focusing on my kick. I am trying to drill it in my brain how to kick. I realize that the minute I add my arms into the mix my kick completely falls apart.

I also worked on swimming with the pull buoy this morning. I was trying to work on rotating my core along with my arms while swimming. I don't know if I was doing it right or not, but I know that I need more rotation in my body.

I also worked on the shark fin drill and the 6 kick drill. Between all the drills I swam regular to assess how I was doing. I noticed that when I get tired(which happens quickly) everything falls apart fast.

I did finish up the 40 lengths in about 30 minutes which is super fast compared to my previous times. I think my breathing and stamina is slowly improving. I stopped after 40 lengths because I know my shoulders need a rest.

After swimming I lift a few weights. Nothing much, but I did work a few sets of 10-12 on DB chest, DB incline bench, and bicep curls. I called it a day quickly as it was time to get home for the day.

Another great workout. I sure hope my weight has dropped some with the week I had. My weight has been going up the last few weeks, but I have done a much better job eating and obviously I have done more training than usual. Tomorrow the scale will let me know.

I plan on training by running with the Crazies tomorrow and something else on Wednesday before taking Thursday and Friday off. Those two days of rest will be well earned.

No comments: