Sunday, December 18, 2011

Triathlon Training: Week 3 - No Rest For The Wicked.....Sunday Run

Normally I use Sundays as my rest day. However, this Sunday I joined an amazing group of runners/athletes for a nice easy run. Two of the guys are simply amazing as they train for Leadville which is a 100 mile trail run. They have asked others to join them on their long running days so people catch up with them at certain times when they reconvene at their house for refueling. I have wanted to join them the last few weeks, but things just did not work out. Today I wanted to make sure I joined them.

My legs were tired this morning from the bike ride yesterday. I was not sure how they were going to respond. The guys started at 4:30 this morning. I thought about joining them then, but I overslept through my alarm and did not wake up until 4:27. I got up around 5:00 and got ready to join them at 6 as I knew the 6 am loop would be two hours. I fueled up with some waffles, coffee, and water and made my way to their house.

It was a little chilly, but once you get moving it turned out to be a beautiful morning. There is something serene about running out in fields with frost on the ground and watching the sunrise. I have not ran for more than 50 minutes or 6 miles since the Living History Farms Race on November 19th where I ran 7 miles.

The two hours flew by time wise. I could not believe how fast time went by just talking with the guys and enjoying the opportunity that was presented to me. During the two hour loop I did stop my watch during a few walk breaks here and there. We ran 11 miles in 1:47 for a 9:42 pace. I felt really good the entire time. I was very surprised by how effortless it felt.

Finishing the run I am now a little tired. This has been a big volume of training for the week. I am not sure about total time put into training, but this week I

Swam 2.6 miles
Biked 52 miles
Ran 23 miles
Lifted weights 1 time

I am quite happy with 77.6 miles of training for my third week of training. My body is adapting well and I am feeling good.

This week presents me a recovery week. Things don't really feel like a complete recovery week as I still have some serious training, but things are scaled back.

My other little side goal is to build my running back up. I really enjoyed the running this morning. Next week I would like to run two loops with them and slowly build my base with them. I have to be careful to not do too much too soon, but things are going good. I truly enjoy each day of training and none of it feels like work.

I have added my notecards with my daily workout plans for my Week 4: Recovery. I realized last night that some of these workouts might be switched due to X-Mas and my travels. For example I will get my bike rides in before Friday and therefore switch a run to the weekend.


http://www.flickr.com//photos/coffeechug/sets/72157628247907345/show/





Happy Sunday! GETTING IT DONE is in full effect and feeling fine. Live life to the fullest.

No comments: