Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Goals, Focus, Life, and Echoes

I read.

I read quite a bit.

I have not been reading novels or YA lately(this is about to change with the new book by John Green), but more non fiction reading about mental aspects of training, life, and simplicity. I am working hard at staying patient, peaceful, and goal oriented.

I am off to a good start this year(17 days down). Through my reading of the 8+ books I keep bouncing back and forth through I cannot but take time to reflect on some key ideas that resonate with me.

"Individual does not exist for society. Society exists for individual."

This quote seems odd at first. I have been asked a few times why I take the time to train, why would I run in the snow and wind, how do I find time to ride a bike, etc. I look at my training as personal fulfillment. I have a goal that I would like to attain. I want to challenge my body and more importantly my mind. I have to be careful to keep my family first and foremost, but this is something that helps keep me centered and healthy.

This quote reminds me that we don't always have to follow "society". We can be our own individual. If society was insane would you still follow society if it was considered normal? How often do we follow along simply because we think it is "normal"? I am to a point that I don't want to be "normal". I want to be above that. I want to carve my own path.

I saw this quote on Pinterest that reminded me that I don't want to be "normal". I want to leave a message. A legacy. Something that my kids and wife will be proud of if one day I no longer exist(I do hope to live forever or at least to 100).

As I work on being something beyond "normal" and work on peace and patience I often remember one of the phrases from one of the books that discusses how the world is an echoing place. If you throw anger, then you get anger. I want to throw out positive vibes, and receive them in return.

This all sounds pretty general and not very specific. My focus has a goal. A goal that I can control. The main goal is to complete 70.3 Ironman in Racine, WI. Lately I have been getting wrapped up in some very small details that just don't really matter. What matters is getting back to the basics where I push myself to the limits and just enjoy the process. There is a lot of time committed for one 5-6 hour race. I need to remind myself that the journey to Racine is more important than the actual event.

As I continue my training, decluttering my life, and finding time to be with my kids I need to continue to work on not getting angry and frustrated.

Muddy water will turn clear if if left alone. Mind will also clear if allowed to be still. Running and biking allow me to help clear my mind. I look forward to seeing and feeling where this journey takes me along with the other many adventures life throws my way.

No comments: