Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Triathlon Training: Week 8 - Wednesday Swim

Alright, happy Wednesday. We were back in the wonderful pool of the YMCA today ready to tackled the following workout:

Week 8 - Wednesday Swim

You know how you have a certain moment or distance or some part of your training that becomes your mental hurdle? For example, in running mile 11 in a half marathon is always the hardest mile for me. For some reason my brain turns to mush at the mile marker. When running shorter distances mile 3 is the one I must fight through every single time.

We all have these little mind games. There are certain courses I run where I mentally weaken on certain roads or hills. Other place I become stronger. I don't know why it just is what it is.

I realized today in the pool my swimming mental monster. It is the 200 yard swim. I don't know why, but swimming 200's is so hard. These about destroy me. Today I knocked out all 6 sets of 200 in 3:15 with the last set being 3:05 and the first 3:10. I am happy with my times. I am right on track with where I want to be(at least where I think I want to be). But talk about fighting through the mental wall after finishing the first 100 yards each time. I tried several techniques all of which did not help.

This was another good workout. The 4 x 25 sprints I was dialed in to about 16 -17 seconds. I wish I could be on top of water during my long duration swims like I am during the sprints. When I swim fast my whole body feels like it is cruising right on top of the water. When I slow down for moderate pace swims I turn into a barge with max cargo.

It helps to have Chad swim. He is always ahead of me, but he helps me to continue to push myself to getting better in the pool. I have made some huge strides considering it was not that long ago that I could barely swim 25 yards.

Have a great day.

As an update on my eating healthy I have done quite well. I had a small breakdown last night with the making of a granola bar recipe that is supposed to be perfect before a long endurance training. I did smuggle some chocolate chips while creating this massive pan of homemade granola bars. Other than that I have been good. The cravings are slowly starting to go away. If I can hold out a little longer I think I will be in great shape in terms of not wanting to eat the junk all the time. I will admit that have been destroying dinner. I eat enough for 3 people but Amanda has been trying out some new recipes and they have been AWESOMESAUCE!

Keep GETTING IT DONE!

2 comments:

You Dee said...

AWESOMESUACE!  Excellent choice of words!  Made me giggle!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for providing individuals with an extraordinarily splendid possiblity to read articles and blog posts from this blog. It's always so kind and also stuffed with a good time for me and my office colleagues to search your site at a minimum thrice a week to read the new items you have got. And lastly, we are at all times fascinated concerning the perfect suggestions you serve. Selected 3 facts in this post are ultimately the simplest I have ever had.
Battalion 1CBH4 Hardware - screws not included - Piano Hinge, Bronze, 72 L x 2 In W