Thursday, November 29, 2012

Book Review: Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstare

While I was in Denver for the NAGC conference I had the urge to buy a book to read despite the massive volume of research, presentation planning for another conference, and being on brain overload. This book has stuck out to me for some time and I decided to spend the money on a hardcover and give it a go.

I cannot think of the last hardcover that I bought. It has been a few years. However, I was wise in this purchase. This was a great read and I might go so far as saying the best read of 2012 in terms of fiction.



Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel by Robin Sloan is AWESOME! Plain and simple. If you love books. If you love technology. If you love trying to live in a modern world while loving the smell of old. If you love a little mystery action. If you are human with a brain, then you will enjoy this book.

You can read the Amazon description at the link above. Clay is basically a guy trying to find his place in the world. He has skills with web design and technology, but just cannot get going. He lands a job at a bookstore that leads him to meeting with weird characters all in a hurry for the next book on the upper bookcase of books that are not for sale. What he finds when he becomes curious is a world of intrigue, mystery, puzzle solvers, and characters all in a rush to find out the essential truths to the world. There is passion for books, cryptic messages, Google, technology, history, and relationships. It really does cover it all in a non cheesy way. It makes sense.

I found myself taking notes of books referenced, cool ideas, and several quotes. This book is so good that I am actually reselling it so I can get it in the hands of someone else. I have heard it mentioned on online and in other reviews that this is the DaVinci Code for book lovers. I hate to make the comparisons like this, but this does work.

A great read that you don't want to miss. Robin Sloan has created an excellent read and a new fan! I will be honest that I was hoping for a different ending, but what unfolds did not leave me disappointed  I was engrossed in the storyline that I had hopes for certain things. When you make these predictions you know you are in a good story.


No comments: