Sunday, December 2, 2012

Out Season: Week 5 - Sunday Long Run, Did I Really Run In Shorts?

Yesterday I posted about how I was not able to train in the morning due to my daughter having a sleepover. I was able to get the bike in the afternoon with thoughts of running in the evening. I should have known better by now that the later in the day I plan to workout the less chance it has to become a reality. I should have just sacrficed and bricked. Deep down I knew that was the answer, but I also know I need to focus on my running and wanted that 50 minute run.

To make a long story short I did not have a chance to run until about 9:20 last night. Knowing that I had to get up at 4:30 this morning to train I opted to not run last night. My thought was that two mediocre workouts are not as good as one good quality workout so I chose to just sleep and work hard this morning. With the way I was battling knee and foot issues last weekend I also thought it would not be wise to push it too much.

HOWEVER, I am mad at myself for missing another workout. I really wanted to hit the 100 mile mark this week in training. I cannot get to upset about it, but I get mad at myself for knowing better.

On a positive note, my run today was awesome! I felt fantastic. The weather was 52 degrees at 5 am in Iowa in December! How crazy is that! I ran in shorts and a shirt.

My running plan today called for

MS: 2 x 1/2 mile (3'), 1 x 1 mile (3'), 2 x 1/2 mile (3') all @ TP/Z4/Hard. Remainder of run is how you feel, but try to accumulate more HMP/Z3/Mod-Hard time.

Creating a 75 to 90 minute run from this run, where personal and physical bandwidth allows, is recommended. Simply settle into a pace between LRP/Zone 1/Easy and MP/Zone 2/Steady.

I headed out on my regular path with the mindset to run a different angle once I climbed a good hill.


I started out with an about 1.5 mile run getting loose taking things nice and easy. My Zone 4 is 7:12 so my goal like the last few training sessions is to run a bit faster at 7:12 feels way to slow and easy.

My first .5 was at 7:00. This felt super easy as I was still fresh

My second .5 was 6:59 and I actually ran a bit over. At this point I needed to hit up a restroom and I ran to the park where we used to all meet up and run back when I ran with the group. I did not realize the bathrooms were all boarded up so I had to just deal until I ran to the next restroom about 1.5 miles away.

I decided to just go and get my mile run done and I hit that mile at 7:10. I was hitting full stride during the hills and felt strong.

My third .5 mile was at 7:00 and my fourth at 6:56. I know I am way ahead of my 7:12 but honestly these splits feel easy.

After the last split I wanted to run to complete 80 minutes of running. Last weekend I ran for 75 and I want to keep building it up my endurance slowly and gradually. I finished strong running the last 20 minutes at a 7:38 pace which is right on my Zone 3 pace of 7:40.

I felt great! I did some stretching afterwards since my tightness in my legs continues to get worse each week.

Despite missing out on my run last night, I feel good about ending my training on a good note.

I once again realize that I just have to get things done early in the morning. I cannot expect to get things done during the day. Having three kids produces too many variables to cause issues.

Last, my toe update. Last week I showed off the gross thing developing on my toe that was causing me pain.

After training last weekend my toe blew up and it has become quite sensitive. It has not affected my training, but it hurts if I don't wear socks and shoes.




I think it is getting better, but it still looks gross. I just need to keep letting it dry up and apply ointment to keep it clean. It looks like when it opened up it opened up twice. There are basically two holes on my toes.





Enjoy your Sunday. Time for some coffee and a plan to eliminate all this garbage food in my house so I can eat healthy for the next week or so. I need to get back to basics. This has been my biggest nightmare in training......EATING!

No comments: