Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Are you using Google Research Tool in Google Drive?



I have crafted a short video showing the power of the Research Tool within Google Drive. This is something that needs to be explored more by teachers and utilized by students. A major time saver and also a key tool when collaborating and conducting research.

Let me know how you use this in your classroom. I am looking to make this a staple in all of my classes from here on out. 

I have made a video tutorial with some ideas on how it all works. The link is below.



Here’s how it works!



1.     Go to your Google Docs/Drive page
 

2.     Choose “Create” and then select “Document.”


3.     Start by writing your information whether a research paper, script, debate, etc. 


4.     When you get to a word that you need some guidance and help with or it is a place where more research is needed go ahead go to the toolbar. 


5.     Click on “Tools” and then find “Research.” You can see below that I highlighted Twitter in my document and Research already has Twitter researched for me.





6.     You can click the little down arrows underneath your search box in the Research panel to select the options you want


Citing the sources

Web Results:



When you have the resource that you want to use you will get three options to choose from. They are Preview, Insert Link, and Cite

Preview will give you a preview box of the website before you click on it to open it up to see if it is worth your time.


Insert Link will take the highlighted text in your document and make it a hyperlink to that site if that is what you need. In image below you see Twitter as a hyperlink.



Cite will then site the article/website for you and make it a footer.


















Images



When searching images all you do is drag the picture and it will site it automatically.

What I like best is the option to find images that are not copyrighted!






These are the two major uses I see with the Research tool in Google Drive. Don't forget you have many more options within this tool




As stated above I would love to connect with fellow educators who are using this tool to see examples of it in action and to enhance my own knowledge. I think it would be foolish to not use this if your school has Google Drive.

I would love to hear from others who use this, how they use this tool, and any other advice, tips, or ideas.











































No comments: