Thursday, July 4, 2013

Book Review: Multipliers by Liz Wiseman



Book Description

June 15, 2010
A thought-provoking, accessible, and essential exploration of why some leaders (“Diminishers”) drain capability and intelligence from their teams, while others (“Multipliers”) amplify it to produce better results. Including a foreword by Stephen R. Covey, as well the five key disciplines that turn smart leaders into genius makers, Multipliers is a must-read for everyone from first-time managers to world leaders.

My Thoughts

The book description is spot on. I read this book as part of my summer PD. I am trying read as much as I can on leadership, mindset, and marketing. I want to take the ideas gained and apply them to the field of education and my job.

This book was a great read. As the reader consumes the knowledge between a Multiplier and a Diminisher they have no choice but to self reflect and figure out what type of person/leader they are. I consumed the information and am now figuring out how to become better. 

The underlying idea that I took away is that everyone who you work with has something valuable to give and offer. A Multiplier will help them find ways to use their talents and gifts to improve the overall business. In terms of education I keep thinking about helping teachers find what they are good at and help them use their gifts to enhance education. With so many issues plaguing education some teachers have lost their vision of what they do well and need to get back to the core level of quality teaching.

This was a quality book. This book applies to any discipline or job. My Evernote page is loaded with notes and ideas that I took away from the book. I will be spending the rest of my summer working towards becoming a Multiplier. I want to be able to work with others and multiply our productivity. I want to help others find their gifts. I want to work on the five disciplines of a Multiplier which are

The five disciplines
1. Talent Magnet - attract and optimize talent
2. Liberator - require best thinking of people
3. Challenger - extend challenges
4. Debate Maker - debate decisions
5. Investor - instill accountability

This is another must read. I found this book to be quite helpful. As always I read the book from the lens of an educator. Instead of thinking of making money and increasing business I reframed the content in my mind as increasing learning and excitement in the classroom. 

I will be following the research and materials of Liz Wiseman because she is on a path that many of us can learn from.

The most important thing you can do when reading this book is to be open and honest with yourself and analyze what type of person you are and what you can do to change. We all have room for improvement. This book forced me to rethink my mental approach of what I am going after in my career and more importantly why I am attaining these goals. This is a deep question that only we can answer when open with ourselves. 

This book would be a great course or professional development. 


No comments: