Monday, November 25, 2013

Double App Review: A Shiver of Sharks and A Troop is a Group of Monkeys

A Shiver of Sharks



A Troop is a Group of Monkeys

I have combined these two apps because they are published by the same company, Little Bahalia Publishing. They operate exactly the same and have the same structure. Which is a good thing!

The apps are very colorful. The reader sounds human and the reading is somewhat slower than normal talk which is helpful for younger kids. I tested these apps on my 2 year old who never sits still and she liked them both. She enjoyed the interaction of each page. There is enough to keep the reader entertained without losing sight of the actual reading.

As an educator I liked how the Common Core Standards are referenced and there is also a Reading Strategies page to help parents learn different ways to interact with the contact. I think this is so important because sometimes we are not sure what all to do with these books and don't realize all the different ways to interact.

I look forward to the third installment and these are both two apps that will be staying on the iPad for future use. Simple, colorful, interactive, and fun. No ads or any other glitches that could create headaches for parents.

P.S. Parents you might learn a thing or two about what some animals are called in groups. I know I certainly did not know them all. Which is leading to further discussion with my older children about these words.

Both are worth the $3.99 price tag. Test one out and if you like one, then you know you will like the other one.

No comments: