Sunday, November 29, 2009

Author Interview: Kristina Springer


SWEET!
I cannot tell you how excited I am to post this interview by the author of the Espressologist (click for my review), Kristina Springer. She is super nice and so wonderful to work with(she very willingly answered my interview questions). Without wasting any other blog space, I present to you the interview.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks! These were so fun! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and I hope your daughter is feeling better!

1. Growing up, when I was reading books I never really even considered authors to be human. I never gave a thought to actually talking to them or sending them letters. Now authors do interviews (like this), Skype conferences, blogs, email, etc. How does the utilization of all the latest technology and internet help you as a writer? Do you think it helps you or is it more of problem trying to fit it all in?

I LOVE IT! Seriously, it’s awesome having all this instant feedback and communication. I like reading all the reviews and chatting with readers via e-mail, facebook, and twitter.

2. How did you come up with the idea to write Espressologist? I am sure that you have been asked this a million times, but how does one shift to the young adult genre?

I came up with the idea while sitting in a Starbucks. I was people watching and it hit me that I could pretty much tell what they were going to order. I thought I’d write a sort of guide book and call it Espressology but then I thought no, I’ll make it a fiction book and have a matchmaking barista who practices Espressology.

As far as making the shift to young adult writing—I never really made a shift. When I first started writing fiction it was young adult. If I ever decide to shift to writing adult fiction I’ll let you know how it goes!

3. How were you able to figure out the what type of person went with each drink? Did you compose your own little study?

Yes! I watched people like CRAZY. Maybe I should say they thought I was crazy. I got so many weird looks while writing this book. I seriously studied every person that came in to the coffee shop (I wrote the whole book from the same table at my local Starbucks) and eavesdropped on their orders and then hung over the counter to watch them being made. Like Jane, I had a good feel for what people were going to order to begin with. But I eavesdropped a lot to make sure I was right!

7. I was on your website and noticed you like to listen to audiobooks. Which audiobook(s) is/are your favorite(s)?

Ugh, that’s hard! I’ve listened to so many since I started listening to them in the car like ten years ago. Stephen King’s audiobooks were always really good stuff. And everything Sophie Kinsella. Jane Green too. The latest one that I really enjoyed listening to was The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.

10. Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what would be a playlist on your ipod?

Nope! Well, I take that back. Starbucks always has something playing. But I seriously tune it out.

11. What other books would you recommend young adults to read besides your own?

Oh wow, there are so many great great books out there. If you’re looking for the funniest book ever, Kristin Walker’s A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL is hysterical (out 2/1/10). Or if you’re into zombies, THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH is awesome. Or if you want a really unique twist on fairies, Aprilynne Pike’s WINGS is really cool. And for another fun romance with matchmaking, check out Rhonda Stapleton’s STUPID CUPID. It’s so cute and the main character is really fun.

12. If I go to a coffee shop I usually order a mocha cappuccino or a peppermint mocha. Do you have any insight on me based on these orders?

I’d say you are a pretty fun and friendly person. Most often happy. Young at heart. I’m sensing you have a He-man, GI Joe, or Star Wars collection (Ok, I may be reaching a bit here but you’ll have to let me know if I’m right! :-) ).(She is right by the way, I have all three currently in my basement)

Here are some additional random questions that you could answer if you feels like it(though not really necessary, but students wanted me to add). These come from the Teacher Mystery Challenge that I have on my blog. They thought it would be cool to hear answers from an author.

1. What flavor of Kool Aid was your favorite?

None. I’ve never liked koolaid.

2. What do you think of hot dogs?

Yuck.

3. Favorite Holiday movie or tv special?

Let me just say I’m a Hallmark channel cheesy Christmas movieaholic. I’ll watch them all. Heck, I’m watching one right now while I answer these questions. But as for favorites? I’ll watch the TV show Christmas specials again and again—like the Little House on the Prairie special Christmas one—can’t remember if it has an official name.

4. What do you prefer to drink in the morning?

Are you teasing me? Coffee! :-)

5. Can you do push ups? If yes, how many?

Yes. Lots of the on your knees pushups. Just tried the regular pushups and got to 8. Ouch.

6. Favorite hobby?

Writing! And reading

7. Middle name?

Marie

8. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment?
Fun, hope, pumpkins.

9. Current worry?

Having company tomorrow- need to clean.

10. Dum da dum dummmm what is that?

Monsters! I don’t know.

11. Where would you like to go?

Italy.

12. Do you own slippers?

Yes, but I never wear them.

13. What color shirt are you wearing right now?

White.

14. Can you whistle?

Yes

15. Favorite color?

Pink

16. Would you be a pirate?

No

17. What was the last song that was stuck in your head?

The one my daughter’s high school musical doll sings over and over and over again. Not sure of the title.

18. What’s in your pocket right now?

Nothing

19. Best toy as a child?

That thing you can sit and spin on. So fun. They should make those in adult sizes.

20. What is your favorite candy?

Twix

21. Favorite Sports Team?

I should probably say Cubs or Bears or something but I don’t actually follow sports.

22. What are you currently reading?

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

23. What is your favorite book of all time?

That’s hard! I don’t have one favorite. I have favorite authors though—Meg Cabot, Lauren Myracle, and Sophie Kinsella.

24. If you could meet anyone living or dead who would it be and why?

My mom’s mom. Because I never met her.

25. What would we find in your refrigerator right now?

Turkey Burger, grapes, lots of milk, eggs, apples, turkey, wheat tortillas, cheese, ummmm condiments… I can’t remember what else.

26. What is one fact that readers would not know about you prior to asking this question?

I have three brothers.

27. If you were an animal/a can of soup/some other random object, which one would you be?

A Christmas Tree.

Best,

Kristina

THE ESPRESSOLOGIST, *In stores now* from Farrar, Straus and Giroux

MY FAKE BOYFRIEND IS BETTER THAN YOURS, Fall 2010, Farrar, Straus and Giroux

www.kristinaspringer.com

2 comments:

Rhonda Helms said...

GREAT interview! And thanks for the shout-out!!! :D

I cannot WAIT to read your book, Kristina!! I love matchmaking stories. And I second the recommendation for A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL--it is seriously hilarious!

Rhonda Stapleton said...

GREAT interview! And thanks for the shout-out!!! :D

I cannot WAIT to read your book, Kristina!! I love matchmaking stories. And I second the recommendation for A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL--it is seriously hilarious!