Sunday, October 11, 2009

3 Book Reviews




One of the Survivors
by Susan Shaw

24 dead, 2 survivors How can you fix that? Tell me how?

This is my first book that I have read by Susan Shaw, but I have already placed some of her books on hold to read more by this author.

This is the story of Joey and Maureen. They are two students who survived a school fire. They were they only two to leave their classroom. Instead of being hugged and loved, they are being branded as murderers because the community cannot figure out how they escaped, but nobody else. The book bounces back and forth through the journals of Joey and the current events that are unraveling in his life.

This book really hits on the concept that when things go wrong it is easy or almost human nature anymore to blame somebody or something for the wrong. I recommend this book for middle school readers. She has done a nice job tackling an issue that could have really been taken to a high school level and keeping it available for the 10-14 year age group. I was frustrated at times at the events unfolding, but the book does a great job tackling the feelings of loneliness, guilt, forgiveness, and moving on. I will be honest and tell you that I was getting tired of the first 100 or so pages of the same old "Why me? Poor me" attitude, but I also know anyone would feel that way if you were in the shoes of Joey. From page 154 and on I was hooked and the ending more than made up for my boredom of reading about emotions.

Another book I read was

Odd and the Frost Giants
by Neil Gaiman



Whenever Neil Gaiman writes something whether a book, graphic novel, his blog, etc. I have to read it. His genius of storytelling and his unbelievable ability of making mythology appealing is amazing. I noticed that this book came out and I had to read it right away. I will tell you upfront that this is geared for a younger crowd like maybe upper elementary. However, if you know your mythology, then this book has a lot to provide despite the small amount of pages. Odd is a Viking boy who embarks on a journey to save Asgard with three animals. You may have to research your Norse mythology to help make the book more in depth for those who read like me. The book is about this boys journey to help remove the Frost Giant and return Asgard back to normal. A very fast read as I read it in about an hour. A great escape from everyday life and quite enjoyable. Nowhere near as intense as his other writings, but it was nice to have an easy read with a good storyline.

The last book that I will book talk is

The Monstrumologist
by Rick Yancey


I loved this book.

This is the journal of Will Henry. Will Henry is an orphan who lives and becomes the assistant of Dr. Pellinore Warthrop. This man studies and lives for monsters. This is what he studies. The doctor is odd in his own right and who wouldn't be if one studies monsters for a living. A grave robber comes in the middle of the night Dr. Warthrop and Will Henry embark on an gruesome journey.


This is not a fast read. It is written in the old Victorian style and theme. The characters are well developed, it has a freakish setting and tone which is perfect for this time of year. You really have to focus to read this book. It does contain many scenes of gore and violence(duh! they do hunt and research monsters), but nothing else would need to be cautioned to the reader. The monsters in this book are crazy and none of any I have ever dreamt or created in my mind. If you want something to keep you on edge at night and enjoy longer books, then read this bad boy. I hope there are more to come in this series(if it is even a series). A perfect Halloween read.

No comments: