Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Book Review: Lagoon by Lilli Carre

The Lagoon by Lilli Carre
*acquired from the public library*

http://www.fantagraphics.com/thelagoon

Here is a good description of the novel according to GoodReads.com


A haunting, lyrical graphic novel debut. A family is seduced by the song of the Creature from the Black Lagoon in talented young cartoonist Lilli Carre's first long-form work, and how each member reacts to the Creature's siren call in The Lagoon is the crux of the story. Carre experimented with nib pens and brushes while drawing this black-and-white graphic novel, giving the art a different feel from her previous, Eisner-and-Harvey-Award-nominated story, The Tale of Woodsman Pete. Lagoon was influenced by the films Creature from the Black Lagoon and Night of the Hunter, but reads more like the gothic family narratives of Flannery O'Connor. Rhythms - taps, the ticking of a metronome - are punctuated by silences that pace this "sound"-driven story. Older teen and adult readers are invited to imagine the enigmatic Creature's haunting, ever-shifting tune as it reverberates through weedy waters, eventually escaping the lagoon to creep into windows at night.


My Review

I like graphic novels. I try to make sure that I read one or two each month because I know that they are very popular among certain crowds. I have read some good ones this year. This one I cannot honestly say I just did not quite understand. I think part of the reason is that I am not smart enough to understand the artwork and understanding the storyline(s). Basically, this creature makes music and people are seduced by the music in different ways. I read the book and when I finished I was like, "Okay, the book is done, move on." There are reviews that just adore this book and I guess I just missed the whole point. I know that the author is amazing and people love the work created. I am going to take the blame on not enjoying this novel. I think I just am not smart enough to find the beauty of the story and the artwork. At least I enjoyed the fact that the sea creature smoked a cigarette when not in the water. Not sure of the purpose of that, but it is what it is. If you like graphic novels, then you might really like this if you know what to look. Don't let my review deter you from reading, but this was just not my cup of tea.

No comments: