Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Book Review: Salt by Maurice Gee



Did you read Hunger Games and love it?


Did you read Maze Runner and love it?




If you answered yes to either of these questions, then read this book. Salt by Maurice Gee is another dystopia young adult novel that is amazing. I rank it right up there with the two title mentioned above. This genre keeps picking up more and more momentum and I love it.



Maurice Gee has won an award for best young adult book in New Zealand. I had no idea who this author was until this novel and now Maurice may soon become another one of my favorite writers as this trilogy continues to unfold.


Hari is one of the main characters. His world is controlled by Company. He father has been enslaved force to work the Deep Salt mines where no one ever returns. If the bodies are found, then it is discovered that they have died from a terrible illness. Hari is poor and has to fight for food to survive and live off rats the size of humans and other crazy things. Hari is determined to save his father.


Pearl is from the other aspect. She is wealthy and lives a luxiourous life. She has been forced to marry someone she does not want to marry and decides to run away with her maid, Tealeaf.


Pearl, Tealeaf, and Hari all cross paths on their two different journeys. They realize that they all together have a special ability of silent speaking with Hari being able to communicate with animals.


They decided to work together to find Deep Salt and and uncover the mysteries of this place. Additionally, they decide to help try and stop the several fighting forces who are in battle for power.


I don't know how else to describe this book. It is more gritty and abrasive than Hunger Games in my mind. It really grabbed my attention like Hunger Games. I just had to know what was going to happen. It is a trilogy so I know two more awesome books are coming the line.


I think anyone who reads this book will love it. It is full of action, violence, some great main characters with Tealeaf being an awesome secondary character. The ending brings some closure, but leaves you a feeling that you know something is bound to wrong(which it will or else two books would not be coming). Go read this now.

3 comments:

The Book Guru said...

I loved the Hunger Games and can't wait for the third installment to come out. I'll have to check out this book as I need another YA book. You may also like The Forest Of Hands And Teeth. If your interested feel free to check out my review of this book at my blog (The Book Guru). Thanks for the recommendation!

coffeechug said...

Thanks for sharing. I will have to check out The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I will check out your blog also.

Lindsey said...

I loved the Hunger Games and can't wait for the third installment to come out. I'll have to check out this book as I need another YA book. You may also like The Forest Of Hands And Teeth. If your interested feel free to check out my review of this book at my blog (The Book Guru). Thanks for the recommendation!