Thursday, July 15, 2010

Half Marathon Training Run - Week 2 Day 4 - Run #2

This morning was very hot. I went out running around 9:30 and the humidity and heat was already climbing. Today my program had me assigned to run

*a 1 mile warmup
*2 x 1 mile runs at a 8:25 pace
* a 1 mile cool down

I ran to the high school as this is almost exactly one mile from my house(about 1.2 miles). I felt really good running and the one nice thing about the heat is that it does not take long to get your muscles ready to go. I arrived at the track and decided that I wanted to run faster than the suggested 8:25 pace. I don't know if that is a smart move or not as I have very little knowledge in training for a half marathon and running(now when it comes to basketball I have a good knowledge base). I felt that 8:25 was just too slow as I ran the Moonlight Chase race (4 miles) at a 8:05 pace. My goal was to break the 8 minute barrier each time. This is the first time in I don't even know how long that I have actually ran on a track. I enjoyed the running because I could gauge everything and break my running down into smaller segments that helped me mentally. I would not be able to run very long on a track as I would lose focus, but for this type of workout I loved it. Anyways, I ran my first mile in 7:28 which is very good for me. I finished that mile and walked one lap around the track. After the one lap, I decided to start up again as opposed to walking one more. I felt really good. The second mile I had to push a little harder, but I finished that in 7:29. I was tired after the second mile, but recovered very quickly after walking one lap around. I then ran home and feel really good. Had this been two weeks ago I would have been dead for the rest of the day. I was proud of myself for the times I ran and knowing that I don't feel bad at all as I write this. This lets me know that I could push harder, but that would not be smart to do with the heat, me just starting all the running, and preparing for my first big long run(with the exception of the Bix at 6 last week) on Sunday. Tomorrow I am supposed to run 4 miles, but cannot remember what type of run whether an easy run, tempo run, etc. I will post again tomorrow. I also am supposed to lift weights as well. Trying to decided if I should run after lifting or before. I am thinking of getting up at 4:30 am to run so I can then lift with the crew at 5:30. Well, off to paint the second coat of paint in my kitchen while the kids and wife are swimming.

By the way, I finally found a few coconut water beverages at Hy-Vee. These things are hot ticket items as they are never in stock. I swear by the coconut water after running. It really helps to hydrate the body.

P.S. I did finish For the Win by Cory Doctorow last night. Will type up a review later today and publish it tonight or tomorrow. What a read. Slowly knocking of my goals left and right. Keep reaching for your goals and celebrate when you do.

No comments: