Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chicago Urbanathlon Training - Week 1 - Monday and Tuesday

Despite my half marathon race being only 48 hours ago, I have to get my mind back to training mode for my next race challenge of the Chicago Urbanathlon. The link I just provided has the course layout and you can see for yourself that this race is no joke. It also requires a different mindset and training compared to the half marathon. My biggest concern right now is my heart rate. When you run anywhere from 2-3 miles, stop and perform an obstacle that shoots your heart rate sky high, and then proceed to run 2-3 miles again you have to really learn how to regulate your heart rate to keep it stable during the run. I really need to increase my lactic acid threshold on this one. Due to the fact that there are obstacles, I will not be able to wear my water belt or any other devices besides my watch. I must learn to run without music also.

Yesterday, I made a training guide based off the workouts provided by the website and also my schedule and times to run. Here is the plan

As you can see, this is going to be an intensive training for the next three weeks. Yesterday, I just did some basic upper body lifting as my body was tired from the race.

This morning I could barely get out of bed. My legs are very, very sore. I was able to get up and run 3.06 miles in 28:04 for a 9:10 mile pace. I just wanted to get moving again. It hurt to run, but at the same time it felt good to break up the soreness.

I have created this checklist/training plan to help keep me focused. Each day I can cross off what I accomplished.

I plan to keep posting updates on the training because for some reason it really helps to log this information as it keeps me focused. Not sure who the sprint workout will go tomorrow. Time will tell.

As always, what are your goals? Are you meeting them? Have you written down a plan of action or are you still "wanting" to do something, but not willing to actual turn that "want" into "action"? The time is now.

By the way, here some action photos from the half marathon. These are towards the end and yes I am dead.

No comments: