Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Book Review: The Lost Children by Carolyn Cohagan

Title: The Lost Children
Author: Carolyn Cohagan
Cybil Book #20
Pages: 313

Author Website: Go Here
Book Website: Go Here

For a synopsis go here

Or watch this video before reading my review



My Thoughts:

I loved this book. Finally, a book from the Cybil list that really grabbed me. I loved this story. It held my interest throughout and I just had to know how things were going to pan out for Josephine. There were some great action scenes, fantastic monster/creatures, some creepy passages, and just an all around great read that I think any middle grade student would enjoy.

The Brothers were the coolest. Big old creatures that eat kids despite not having a mouth. How do they consume kids? Read the book. This book pulls from many other stories and I love how some ideas reminded me of Alice in Wonderland(falling into a time warp) were not so redundant that I did not care. I really felt like she took the basics of some classic stories and weaved in many new ideas that created this world I really did not want to leave. I had such a visual in my mind of the land of Gulm. I liked the supporting characters of the other children, Ned, Morgan, and the rest of the cast(let us not forget the evil Master). The ending threw me for a loop that I had to reread certain parts to make sure I grasped what was happening. I did not see the ending coming at all and it took me quite by surprise.

READ THIS BOOK! It is going on my Cybil working shortlist. I hope others like this book as well. I also hope that this is a start to a long run of great books from Simon and Schuster and the author. I was given this book as a wonderful early Christmas present of 13 hardcover brand new books from the publishing company to review for the Cybils and this was the first from that pile.

Carolyn Cohagan has done a great job with her first novel. A good old fun read for all ages.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm glad you found one you loved!

victoria said...

ok i luv the book so much there needs to be a movie about it!!!!! its the best book ever and how its her first novel thats great she needs to write more books and make a movie about the lost children best book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!