Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Book Review: Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Title: Behemoth
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Pages: 481
Cybil Book #26
Author Blog (this is one I check quite frequently)

From inside jacket
The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.
Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan’s peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory.
Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what’s ahead.
 My Thoughts

This is the only series besides Hunger Games trilogy where I have actually been excited to read the next in the series. So many books are trilogy format, but I never go beyond book one. I could not wait for this to come out and when I recieved my book package from Simon and Schuster with this book I instantly stopped all reading to tackle this book.

I will tell you upfront that you must read Leviathan first. This is not stand alone. You must understand the prior storyline for this to take off. I will also be honest and tell you that this is not a light read. I have to focus and really pay attention to the plot and characters. Essentially, it is an alternative history/steampunk story of WW1. I love history and am so amazed and barking blown away how he takes real events, military crafts, people and create subtle shifts and characters into his own story. The Clankers have the coolest machines ever. I was so fascinated by the designs, but I am even more impressed by the Darwinist animal/creature devices. Never in my life have I been so excited to study the pictures in a book.

It was such a breath of fresh air to read a complicted YA story. No bad complicated, but one where I actually had to use my brain and not just glaze over while college basketball plays on the TV. I needed my coffee, silence, and my comfy chair to absorb the scope of this book.

Now I must wait for the final installment. ARGH!!

For a much more detailed review I highly recommend checking out The Book Smuggler

Oh yeah, this book just went on my working shortlist and forcing me to drop off some titles. This book appeals to a mass audience of primarily male readers who love history, battles, creatures, and really every aspect of  middle grade boy life. Now, when will Alek realize that Deryn is in fact a .........


Go read this barking book!

No comments: