Friday, December 10, 2010

Book Review: Wolven by Di Toft

Title: Wolven
Author: Di Toft
Pages: 322
Cybil Book #30

Author Website

Overview from the website

Wolven is a fantasy firmly rooted in the mysterious present. A boy and his eccentric grandparents live near a strange, apparently cursed wood. Nat longs for a dog – but the dirty ungainly farm creature finally found by his grandfather hardly fits his image of the perfect pet. But it’s only when his dog starts to grow human ears that he realises that something is seriously wrong.


The truth is stranger than his wildest dreams - the boy who appears is a shape-shifting werewolf in reverse. Woody is one of a noble breed of 'Wolven' driven into hiding centuries before only to be rediscovered by evil government scientists who intend to breed werewolves as weapons.

Can Nat and Woody save the day?

Fast, funny and accessible this is the first of a brilliant and hugely commercial series from debut author Di Toft. Featuring a wicked lenticular cover – see Woody change from wolf to boy before your very eyes.

Wolven has turned fantasy on its head with the creation of a reverse werewolf – a pet dog that turns into a boy!

My Thoughts

I moved this book ahead on my TBR pile because so many of my fellow judges really liked the book. The cover did not really grab me(however, the covers for the books 2 and 3.......I LOVE!!), but I dove in. My daughter(who is 4) told me the cover was scary so it works on children. At first, I was just not digging it. I don't know if it was one of the effects of being hyped by others(everyone can recall a movie like that where they hype is so massive a great film becomes a letdown), but it took me a while to get into the book. I kept waiting for some cool to happen. Finally, many things started to happen in the book and I was hooked. It turned out to be a great read. Some pretty cool scenes involving werewolves/wolven, blood, fighting, action, and all the ingredients to keep me tuned in. The storyline was pretty clever as well. This is not a run of the mill werewolf story. This is something new and refreshing in a genre that is overpopulated with the same story being retold 20 different ways.

Book 2 is already out and book 3 is on its way. I think this has appeal to students. Any book involving animals, werewolves, and likable characters with some pretty cool bad guys generates interest among middle school. Another good read in my scramble to accomplish what I have never done before - read nonstop for weeks!

Give this one a try and it will bite you and sink you right into the action.

No comments: