Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Review: Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Author/Illustrator: Raina Telgemeier
Title: Smile
Pages:214

Author Website: http://goraina.com/


Scholastic/Graphix, February 2010

224 pages, Full-color

Ages 9 - 13

Summary from her website:

Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth, and what follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly. This coming-of-age true story is sure to resonate with anyone who has ever been in middle school, and especially those who have ever had a bit of their own dental drama.

My Thoughts
Finally, I have read a graphic novel that I like. This was a fast read. I loved the storyline of Raina dealing with all the things that go on when trying to grow up and fit in. It all starts when she losed her front teeth and things just escalate from there. This is a realistic story that is based on her life. That is what makes this story even better. As I was reading I kept thinking, "I bet this is based on her life." After reading I went to her website and found out it was. I remember having similar things happen in my life and I am sure we all have our own stories.

What I liked best about this story was the ending. I think kids growing up today need to continue to be pushed to be comfortable with who they are. They try so hard to fit in with whatever group they are trying to fit into. We need to continue to remind our youth to be happy with who you are and to find others who appreciate you. So many times I see kids hanging out in a group to be picked and tormented on and that is just not the way to live.

This was the perfect novel for me to read after being so busy lately and not having anytime whatsoever to just sit down and ready.

Please check this graphic novel out. It is one that is sure to please.

No comments: