Monday, March 28, 2011

Book Review: Angry Young Man

Title: Angry Young Man
Author: Chris Lynch


In "Angry Young Man," award-winning author Lynch ("Inexcusable," a National Book Award finalist) takes readers into the mind of a boy whose journey of self-discovery leads to the unthinkable.

My Thoughts

I am not sure what to think of this book. I was excited to read this novel after reading his other novel, Inexcusable, a few years back and really enjoying the read.
I picked this book up as I read some press about the book. I did not read any reviews, but I opened the book with clean slate in my head and allowed it to create its own journey.

It is not a long read. It is short, but it took me a while to get through the novel. I was not hooked as I am with some other novels, but I was intrigued as to where the novel was going to take a turn in the storyline. I was waiting for the title to show the true colors of being angry so I continued to read.

I have not read about what others think, but I was disappointed in the ending. I know this sounds bad, but I never felt the emotion of "anger" in the novel. The brothers have some issues don't get me wrong, but angry was not something that I felt in the pages. I think there was potential for anger and I kept waiting for Alexander to go crazy.

Both brothers do some things that push the boundaries. Robert and Alexander do get themselves into some situations that are not the best of circumstances.

Robert I found annoying about he thought we was so cool and he treated his brother like crap and whenever he was called out on it he would always say he was joking. Despite the fact that I find that annoying, it is realistic because how often do students/kids make the same excuse when you call them out for being mean?

This is not a bad book. I found it interesting enough to finish. I had to know how it would end. The ending is one that will get you in terms of love it or hate it. I leave that for you to decide.

There are some good messages in the story. Giving people a chance, standing up for what you believe, respecting people and animals, and learning how to deal with our insecurities. I don't recommend dealing with them in quite the same manner as these two(especially at the end), but it does give you something to think about.

I am interested in what others have to say about this book.

No comments: