Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Goal For Myself Among The Other Flat Classroom Projects: Bit Literacy and Email Account to Zero

I am taking the Flat Classroom Teacher class working with some AMAZING people who have done nothing more than help me become more efficient and push me to levels with technology integration in my teaching. In only two weeks I have already set up many new tools and goals for myself to help me become a better teacherpreneur in my school.

One of the things that I have done while studying and learning for this course was create a list of books and resources. On this list is a book titled, Bit Literacy

I am only about 24% through this book, but I am really inspired to become Bit Literate. I am realizing that every bad habit Mark Hurst mentions in his book so far is a staple of how I operate things. His suggestions make complete sense.

Let me back up and explain what Bit Literacy means. From the book, "There is a better way. It's something I call "bit literacy," a set of skills for living and working with bits in a healthy and productive way."

I will be blogging about this several times over the next few weeks, but just need to post one of my goals this weekend. 

To have ONE of my several email accounts to read ZERO emails in the inbox. He suggests that you clear them all out and don't do it in a gradual process. I cannot do that yet. I am not comfortable going all out with them all. I will start with one and progress to two and so on.

I am scared and nervous. I have emails saved from years ago that I just cannot let go. It is time.

From the book, "Success in the bit world comes from creating a quiet, empty place where we can focus on the bits we want, when we want them."

One of the things that stood out to me so far was this passage.

"E-mail is just a medium; the content determines what the message truly is and where it belongs. Users should use the right tool for each kind of message: a todo list for todos, a calendar to store appointments, and so on. No message, no matter what it says, belongs in the inbox."

This is the passage that clicked in my head. It is just a medium. Not a storage device or a cluster of to do agendas. I need to get better organized. It starts this weekend by clearing out one inbox. I will let you know how it goes. 

In the meantime, how do you organize your bits? With all the information being thrown in our direction, how do you make sense of it all? Is your inbox full? What do you use to keep track of your To Do List? This topic will be covered in the future. I am bad at this let me tell you.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas.

No comments: