Wednesday, June 15, 2011

#Trust30 - Writing Prompt #6 - Come Alive

I signed up to be part of this writing project by one of my favorite people on the internet, Seth Godin. It is called the Trust 30 Project.

#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. 

 I am a few days behind so I will be catching up on the writing prompts by posting a few a day until I am caught up.

Here is the website if you want to learn more and join. Please let me know if you join so I can read your posts.

http://ralphwaldoemerson.me/

 

Come Alive by Jonathan Mead

Life wastes itself while we are preparing to live. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you had one week left to live, would you still be doing what you’re doing now? In what areas of your life are you preparing to live? Take them off your To Do list and add them to a To Stop list. Resolve to only do what makes you come alive.

Bonus: How can your goals improve the present and not keep you in a perpetual “always something better” spiral?

(Author: Jonathan Mead)

I really don't think I would do anything different. I honestly think that I am doing everything that makes me happy. Granted, there are things in life I still hope to do and achieve, but the reality of life is that you cannot accomplish everything RIGHT NOW! I love my job of teaching so I don't view that as a waste. I love spending time being a nerd, reading, listening to music, hanging out with my family.

I really like the question of "In what areas of your life are you preparing to live?" This makes me think about finances as we strive so hard to save up money so we can do things in the "future". It makes me pause to consider if it is really worth all the stress it causes because who knows if we will even be around in the future. Obviously, you must strive to save money so you don't lose your house and car and things that are important to succeed in life. But, at the same time you also must live a little. You only live once.

I am going to refer back to this question at a later date and really spend time on making a To Do list and a To Stop list. Maybe it is because it is summer and I am very laid back and feeling good right now that I feel so great about life, but I know that when school starts up again the daily stresses of life will force me to think about the To Stop list.

Great question. Probably the best one so far.

No comments: