Friday, October 28, 2011

Manga Review: 20th Century Boys Volume 2 by Naoi Urasawa



Manga Description

R to L (Japanese Style)
Failed rock musician Kenji's memories of his past come rushing back when one of his childhood friends mysteriously commits suicide. Could this new death be related to the rise of a bizarre new cult that's been implicated in several other murders and disappearances? Determined to dig deeper, Kenji reunites with some of his old buddies in the hope of learning the truth behind it all.

The Friend, an enigmatic cult leader who plans to destroy the world, declares, "The cosmos has begun choosing those who are true friends." Meanwhile, horrifying incidents are taking place: the emergence of a mysterious virus, the death of a detective, the revelations of a man on the run... Kenji tries to find out who this Friend is, but the answer is still far ahead. The footsteps of doom slowly creep closer and a shadow falls over the city...

My Thoughts

After reading volume 1 in this series and finding myself really enjoying the story line I just had to keep on reading. Luckily, volume 2 was readily available at my library so I was able to snag the next volume within a day of reading volume 1.

I am really getting involved in the story line. The character development is strong. I truly have my characters I like and don't like. I feel committed to continuing with the series to find out the many answers to the questions I have. I like the main character Kenji. He is a well balanced main character that helps move the story along at the right pace. He is a good counterbalance to some of the other dynamic and one sided characters.


I am not sure what else to share in the review without giving away too much plot. I will simply state that if you give this series a try and enjoy volume you will not be disappointed in volume 2. Not off to find volume 3.

No comments: