Sunday, November 13, 2011

Training - Saturday Run and Swim - 7 Days Until LHF Race

Yesterday I had added a new chapter to my training routine. I jumped out in the afternoon for a quick 3 mile run just to flush out the fatigue in my legs. I felt tired. I have been fighting a cold and it has been taking a toll on me, but I felt the need to get a run in so I kept it short and just knocked out a 3 mile loop. I ran all in grass to help prepare for the race course next weekend. I ran the 3 miles in 23:18 for a 7:40 pace.

About 40 later I was at Augustana for my first swim lesson. I had contacted Stacey Zapolski to see if she would be willing to help me out. I have my eyes on the field of triathlons, but in order to do so I need help with my swimming. Stacey agreed to meet with me and give me some tips.

I was nervous prior to swimming because swimming is not something I am comfortable with because I don't feel like I am a strong swimmer. Working with Stacey for about 45 minutes I jumped out of the pool knowing some techniques and drills that I can work on to improve my swim stroke. She was awesome to work with. I really appreciated her taking time out of her day to meet with me.

I had a great day of training. I have things to work on for my running and now the element of swimming. Starting on my swimming now gives me all winter to really focus on technique. I would like conquer a half Ironman/Rev3 or full Ironman/Rev3 next fall. This is a very large goal with many things for me to learn quickly. However, if I take things one at a time I think I could accomplish this goal. I just need to learn more about swimming and biking and then sit down in the next month and really hash out a plan. The plan will have to work for me, my wife, my three kids, and all the things that come with being a father and husband. Training for something of this magnitude is a serious time commitment so I want to make sure that I have the support of my family before going all in. I am excited.

I need one more good run in today, but not sure if I will be able to get it in. I know my body feels tired from running 4 straight days, a day of swimming, and not having good sleep with some sick kids. I have a run with the group of "Crazies" tomorrow morning so I shall see what comes of things. The last thing I need to do now is wear my body out before my race this weekend.

Keep pursuing your goals and dreams. Don't lose sight of want you to accomplish and strive for GETTING IT DONE!


No comments: