Monday, December 12, 2011

Triathlon Training: Week 3 - Monday Swim

My arms and shoulders were tired this morning. Having just swam yesterday along with the bike ride my joints were tired. I had planned for a heck of a workout this morning. This one was tough for me. My right calf was still quite tender from the nasty cramp(s) I encountered yesterday.

Chad and I started off with

Warm-Up
200 Free
100 Kick
100 Pull

Next I did a test. I purchased a swim book and I need to dial in my swim times so I needed to perform a swim test. I thought today would be a good day to test. In hindsight this would have been better next week during my recover week. Oh well.

Test
3 x 100 with 20 rest interval (each set should be within 5 seconds of each other)
I performed 1:35, 1:30, 1:28. My average time was 1:31. I was worn out after this test. I really struggle with 100's or more in distance.

Drill Set
3 x 50 Count - I was super excited as my count dropped big time. I swam 15-16 each time. This is a 2 stroke decrease from last week. I really focused on my hand entry into the water in addition to trying to rotate from my hips.

3 x 50 Fingertip

3 x 50 6 kick switch

3 x 50 shark

Swim Base Intervals
6 x 100 @ moderate pace with 5 second rest. I tried to start after 5 seconds as close as I could. I was fairly close. I was quite tired during this time. I really tried to find a good pace where I would not exhausted.

Swim Sprint Intervals
12 x 25 with 20 second rest in between

Cool Down
100 yards

Total 2300 yards

A great workout to start the week. I made notecards for each day of the week for training. I find it helpful to have the stack of workouts ready to go for the week. It helps me mentally. I have added my notecards with the workouts to my Triathlon Training set on Flickr. Check it out below

No comments: