Saturday, December 31, 2011

Triathlon Training: Week 5 Lactic Acid Threshold Week - Saturday Bike Ride - Holy Sweatdrops Batman....Last workout of the 2011!!!!

There it is! The year of 2011 is over in terms of training. A few hours after my swim workout this morning I jumped on the bike for my last workout of 2011, but the start to an amazing final 27 weeks of Half Ironman training to come in 2012.

The final workout of the week and year called for the following

IMG_2017


I have had an amazing week of training and I wanted to push hard on the last workout. Instead of just riding and watching TV, I put in a Bike DVD workout that came with my trainer. Wow, was this ever tough. I pushed hard and this DVD had some real high power intervals throughout that were much longer than 20 seconds. A few of them had me at intensity level 9 or 10 for upwards of 1-2 minutes. I sweated like a banshee.

If you follow my blog, then you know that I realize I struggle on the bike. The only way to get through the struggle is to push. I pushed myself very hard on this workout. It was another great mental test for me to not let up when tired. I know I cannot go hard like this all the time, but it was the perfect way to end my week of training.

I started with a 4 mile warmup watching the 12 minute warmup routine. I then cranked out the 40 minute race day ride by getting in 18 miles during this time. My overall data was 22.14 miles in 50:34 for an avg. pace of 2:17, avg. speed of 26.3, and avg. HR of 133. My max HR was 165 at the very end when I pushed the last minute in an all out sprint and was going 43 mph. My average cadence was 93. This was an awesome workout.

I ended with a 1 mile cooldown.

I feel great. I came over many obstacles and GOT IT DONE! this week.

Happy New Year. Time to spend the rest of the day with the family. See you in 2012.











1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Aaron Maurer! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.

triathlon