Wednesday, March 21, 2012

116 Days Remaining - Toughest Swim Workout To Date

Today was a tough workout. I had to really dig to keep going. I felt much better in the water today compared to Monday. On my way to the Y this morning I realized I left my watch at home so I had to turn around and retrieve it because this workout needed times and certain splits. I entered the pool about 5 minutes late, but I was still able to get it all done.

Warm Up - The warm up was no joke. 100 yards of swimming for warm up is almost a workout in itself.

2 x (200 free, 200 pull, 100 kick)
I timed these just to see where my easy pace was at this point in my training. I tried to really focus on form, reaching and getting my stroke back to where it was before vacation. Things felt much better.

200 free - 3:30
200 pull - 3:31
100 kick - 2:02
200 free - 3:16
200 pull - 3:19
100 kick - 1:59

Main Set
12 x 25 DPS every 40 seconds - I hit every 25 in 20 seconds and my DPS was 14 or 15 every single time. I think it came down to how streamlined I was to start my swim. I really focused on reaching out. I thought I would be able to get down to 13 like I did in swim class, but it did not happen

6 x 100 with 20 RI with Descending 2-2-2 - This means that every 2 sets I had to go faster. This was so hard. I started out way ahead of my T-Pace. My T-Pace is 1:36 for the 100. I tried to keep the pace up and it was a mental battle.

 My times: 1:30, 1:30, 1:25, 1:25, 1:20, 1:22

I was very happy with these times. I had to work very hard to get these times. It was the hardest set I have done to date. I was gassed at this point and still had a long way to go.

4 x 75 pull with breathing 3,4,5 - this means that the first 25 I was able to breathe every 3 strokes, the next 25 every 4 strokes, and the final 25 every 5 strokes. I thought I was going to drown when I got to 5 strokes. I had to really work on keeping my mind relaxed or else it made it much worse. I did not swim fast as I used this time to work on my stride and to recover for the next set.

My times: 1:08, 1:08, 1:10, 1:08

4 x 100 Descending 2-2 with 20 RI

My body was worn out by this set. I could tell fatigue was setting in as it was very hard to keep my legs at water level and my stroke in the water my arms started to straighten out. I was gassed and really though about stopping at this point. I had to talk to myself and get my weakness out and get this workout done.

My times: 1:27, 1:27, 1:23, 1:25 - I did get faster, but not by much. I was dead after the fourth set. Almost done

4 x 75 pull breathing every 3. My times were 1:09, 1:09, 1:10, 1:10.

My last set consisted of 2 x 100 fast. I took an extra rest before each one. I had to really gather up the strength to swim hard.

Set 1: 1:19 - I was happy with this. I felt my legs starting to cramp, but was able to finish without them actually cramping. I took a long break of about 30 seconds and decided to try and beat 1:19 for the last set. I had to go all out.

Set 2: 1:20 - I reminded myself over and over that the key to going faster is to stay calm and relaxed. I was calm and swimming my butt off. I knew I was going to beat my time and possibly hit a PR on the 100. However, on the way back off the first wall I caught a cramp in my calf. I kept swimming and the cramp continued to grow to my shin, then, my hamstring on up to my butt. The last 40 yards I was swimming with one leg because I could not move my right with all the cramping. I still hit 1:20 and had I not cramped I would have beat 1:19.

What a great workout. My hardest to date both mentally and physically.

Total Yards: 3200
Swim Time: 48:04(rest time not included)
Total Time in pool: 65 minutes
Post a Comment