Sunday, April 22, 2012

84 Days Remaining - Easy Run To Shake Out Soreness

I woke up at 5 am this morning to get the final miles of the week in before the crazy day ahead. I headed out around 6 am for a 8 mile run. My goal was to run nice and easy where I was never breathing hard and could sing out loud without losing my breath.

It was a bit chilly to start, but perfect running weather because once you get going you warm up, but never get hot. My legs were sore. They were sore getting out of bed and were sore when I started. The bike ride after the race really taxed these two bad boys.

Starting off was rough, but I told myself to just maintain. I kept it easy and once I felt where that pace was I tried to keep it. It was right around the 8:10-8:15 pace. As I was running down 53rd I decided to hang a left on Devil's Glen and hit up that hill and the Hopewell hill. That was a nice little break to the flat ground. It also added another mile to my run.

Towards the end my legs were tired, but my HR stayed calm the entire time. I feel much better now after the run. Time for a good stretch and then off and running doing this and that until about 9 pm tonight. It was a perfect time to get in a nice easy run with no worries and time to just reflect.

I had a great week of training. I feel really good about things. While running today I kept imagining pacing people during the run portion of the 70.3 Ironman. The DVD I watched stressed over and over that it is all about keeping the pace. Don't go out too fast because it will catch you. You cannot have a good bike split if you have a bad run. I kept trying to visualize the ideas I have been learning into my training. I have a long way to go yet, but I am seeing results and seeing things come together. You have to be able to ride out the pitfalls, the bad training days, the soreness, the days of no motivation, and the days you just don't have anything going your way. If you can ride through these days, then the good things are always around the bend. Back at it again tomorrow morning.....


Here is the course I ran. It was weird how it perfectly came out to 9 miles as I finished at my house. Not planned at all.


No comments: