Here are my "take-aways" from David Williamson and his presentation titled, "Know Next Now"
**This is a mix of his words, suggestions, and my thoughts and questions**
- Another book suggestion - Tom Peters, Re-Imagine
- Key Idea - Find people living tomorrow TODAY!
- Parviv working on internet contact lens(INSANE!)
- Advanced Manufacturing
- View Corey Taylor(lead singer of Slipknot) talk to Oxford College last year about doing NOT what you are passionate about or what you love, BUT what you are GOOD at
- new ITBS called Smarter Balance(I need to read up on this more)
- A good idea for opening up my gifted class taken from his sun fact
- Have students point to the sun(they point at the light)
- Ask them why they are waiting or the present to be the past
- Discuss sun takes 8.3 minutes to reach Earth
- Follow up with goal setting about the future
- Polaris is over 450 years old by the time it reaches us(before Pilgrims)
- "When we hook our dreams to the stars, will it still be there when we arrive?"
- "What a product MEANS has replaced what a product DOES."
- Take his idea of merging two unlikely ideas/products as part of our gifted theme for next year
- yardstick and yo-yo = tape measure
- typewriter and TV = computer
- Know the difference between a visual answer and visual question
- Study up on the Lean Six Sigma
- How can I apply this to my teaching?
- Jet Blue example of slowing planes down 2mph saves 13.6 million dollars
- What 2% change can we do as teachers to create this type of positive difference?
There it is. My notes and my thoughts. Time to further crunch my ideas when I return back to Bettendorf and clear off a few monster projects currently in the works.