Saturday, November 10, 2012

Out Season: Week 2 - Saturday Double Workout

I was up at 5:30 this morning to get my run done before Amanda headed out on her all day shopping trip in Chicago. I had to get going and reverse my workouts. I knew that I would not be able to get out for a run with three kids at home so I needed to do this first before she left.

At 6 am I knocked out the run portion of my workout. The plan called for

MS: Steady run as MP/Z2/Steady out and back. If bricking, do 20' only.

My legs and body were sore. I have been sore all week. I think it is part of getting back into shape and pushing my body like I have never done before. The other part is from coaching and being involved in practice doing core work and playing basketball. When you are overweight by about 15 lbs it all catches up. My knees hurt as well as my other joints.

When I started the run it took me some time to get loose. Thank goodness for warm weather as I warmed up quickly.


I decided to run 30 minutes total including warm up. After a few minutes I picked up the pace so even though my first mile is 8:09 I was pushing strong the last half mile. I nailed my pace goals of 7:40 the rest of the run. The first 1.5 miles were rough, but then I settled into a good groove and just cruised the rest of the run.

The other thing I have done is eliminate the display of total distance on my watch. This has cured my mindset of running a specific distance vs. time. I need to run for time and therefore this switch has changed everything so that I am focusing strictly on pace. This has not been easy and when I sync my watch and see 3.88 I have a hard time knowing I was that close to 4 miles!

A few hours later Ava took a nap so I jumped on the trainer. I moved to another room so I could watch the Bettendorf girls volleyball win state! I wanted to test out Trainer Road, but wanting to watch this match I was not able to do so. I will use TR next week.

The bike workout was tough. This workout kicked my butt!

I started with a 25 minute warm up to get the legs ready as they were tight and my hamstrings felt a bit on edge

5’ easy, 3’ standing @ big gear/low cadence, 2’ easy, then 12’ at Z3/80-85%/Mod Hard, then 3’ easy.

I then jumped into the main workout

MS: 2 x 8' (3') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard.

MS2: 2 x 15' (2') @ 80-85%/Zone3/Mod-Hard.


My HR for Zone 4 is 143-148. I have a hard time getting to that. I was pushing hard and it took time to get my HR in those zones, but I was able to get there. I am learning that my previous training I thought I was pushing hard, but I now know I was not pushing hard enough now that I am using data as my guide. This has me excited for next season to see how I will progress through the winter.

I ate a good recovery meal after the bike and the rest of my day is kid duty, raking leaves, and possibly cleaning the house.

My knees hurt so I need to go see Dr. Walden for some Active Release Therapy. He always gets my body back in place. I had knee issues before when riding on the trainer. I don't get it when I ride outdoors, but indoors I do. He will fix me right up.

Sunday run shall be a true test for me! Time to GET IT DONE!

No comments: