Monday, November 12, 2012

Out Season: Week 3 - Monday Ride Due To Schedule & I Mess It Up

Since I have started using Endurance Nation I have been forced to learn many new things and adapt my old ways of training. One of these items is a Monday rest day instead of a Sunday rest day. However, with this week and my crazy schedule(I head to Denver Thursday-Sunday for a conference) I had to skip the rest day and get right into training.

This morning I was getting things ready like moving my bike back to my computer area and taking in my AdvoCare and through it all I started to fall behind in time. I also needed to reboot my computer as it was running slow after being on for months without a break and I knew Netflix would not operate correctly.

When I booted up the computer I refreshed my browser and without paying too much attention it reset back to last week screen of EN. What this means is that I did not do the planned Week 3 bike ride, but instead repeated the workout from last Tuesday.

This morning I was supposed to do:

MS: 2 x 8' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. Remainder of any time you have available (if any, not required) @ 80-85%/Zone3/Mod-Hard.

Instead I did last week which was

MS: 3 x 6' (2') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. Remainder of any time you have available (if any, not required) @ 80-85%/Zone3/Mod-Hard.

I don't think it is a huge deal, but makes me mad that I messed up the system.

I started out with a good warm up

5’ easy, 3’ standing @ big gear/low cadence, 2’ easy, then 12’ at Z3/80-85%/Mod Hard, then 3’ easy.

I then jumped into the main set of 3 x 6. I had a hard time getting my HR up to Z4 this morning. I was working my tail off, but could not get my HR up to the prescribed zone.

Set 1 I was at 30.2 mph @ 136 HR
Set 2 I was at 30.7 mph @ 142 HR
Set 3 I was at 30.8 mph @ 145 HR

I needed to be over 143 for my Z4. The good news was that I don't remember cranking out sets in 30 mph. I feel like my fitness is improving.

The other positive to accidentally repeating a workout is that I can compare data. It is honest comparison too because I did not have the numbers in my mind to beat. This was a honest ride with a honest mistake which makes this even more valid. Last week my 6 minute sets were

Set 1: 27.4 mph @ 138 HR
Set 2: 28.4 mph @ 151 HR
Set 3: 28.4 mph @ 155 HR

These are huge differences in my mind. I don't know how significant, but to me it shows major improvement with about 2 mph increase in speed with much reduced HR numbers.



I will be sure to follow the right run workout tonight and tomorrow. I already read the dreaded 800's that I have to run. I hate 800's. I won't lie one bit. I know they work and they help, but I hate them. I hate them about as much as I hate treadmills. The work will pay off and I am already seeing the signs.

Now my eating and weight loss is a whole different story............................................

No comments: