Monday, December 17, 2012

Out Season: Week 7 - Weekend Brick Workout

This past weekend has been so incredibly busy that I am just now getting around to posting about my Saturday workout. I had no Sunday workout for once as I have testing this week on both the bike and run.

I woke up very early around 4 am to get this brick workout done. I had a long day ahead of me with my robotics team competing at the regional all day from 7:30 - 5:30 and a birthday party for a friend of ours afterwards. It was nonstop kid noise for about 14 hours. Needless to say I knew that if I did not get up early this workout would never happen.

Here is the workout for Saturday that I had to get done

MS: 2 x 10' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. MS2: 1 x 6' (5') @95-100%/Zone4/Hard. Remainder of any time you have available (if any, not required) @ 80-85%/Zone3/Mod-Hard.

We have no volume goals, per se, for any of the weekday and weekend cycling workouts in the OS. Ride for the time you have availble, focusing on the mainset. Fine to ride less, or more, than the time prescribed, depending on your personal circumstances.

MS: Steady run as MP/Z2/Steady out, HMP/Z3/Mod-Hard back. If bricking, do 15' only.

You can see that my workout on the bike is split. This is because my watch filled with memory and I had to stop for a minute and delete history to keep going. I had about a 2 minute pause in the workout.

I won't lie. I was tired. I had started to get a head cold the night before, but as the ride continued I felt better and better.

During the ride I watched the documentary Vegucated. It was a fascinating documentary. As always when you watch how the meat makes it to your plate it is disturbing. I am not planning on being vegan, but it was good to watch to help me prepare to start eating healthy. You watch and hear all the stats about processed food and so forth and it is scary. This was a real wake up call. I cannot think that as my diet has continued to get worse over the last few weeks that I now have a cold and feel crummy. I really think there is a connection.

Anyways, I jumped on the treadmill to get the run done right away. I actually felt really good coming off the bike despite my legs feeling tired.

The downside to this workout is that I was on my feet for the next 8 hours. This did not help recovery much. Sunday my legs felt quite tired and I know this was due to the fact that I did not really recovery properly.

No comments: