Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Out Season: Week14 Bike Test go BOOM!

Last week was technically week 14  and the last week of my out season training. However a lull in motivation, busy work, and a CrossFit workout that left me sore for days pushed my test days to this week. A week in which I am to be resetting my brain and mind for the next phase of training.

Monday I had to stay home with two of my kids who were sick. This is never a fun day, but it is what it is. Ava finally went down for a bit of a nap and I decided to get on the bike and get this bike test done once and for all. I won't lie I am not feeling the greatest either. I have a major sinus infection and just feel worn out. I have felt worn out for a couple weeks so I hope I don't have something worse than just a head cold!

The bike test is simply on paper, but a monster in real life.

Bike Test, for Power Athletes ONLY!

WU: 10' easy, then 8' building from 50% FTP to 100% FTP in 2' increments, 2' easy. Fine to use estimated FTP if this is your first test. The intent here is to get in a good warmup, so use your best judgement. 

Test 1 -- Vo2 Max Test: ride 5' at the best (hardest) effort you can sustain for the full 5'. A good target is 120% of your estimated FTP.

 Recover 1: 10' easy spin, stretch, recovery. 

Test 2 -- Functional Threshold Power (FTP) Test: time trial for 20' at the best (hardest) effort you can sustain for the full 20'. 

Recover 2: Minimum 5' easy spinning

Rides - TrainerRoad http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/199304

I will be honest in that these tests make me nervous because I have worked so hard over the last 14 weeks and my fear is not seeing improvements. I have struggled the last few weeks with getting all workouts done and eating healthy. However, the results show that WORK, WORKS! I know that doing these bike workouts I have rode harder than ever before


So here is my progress over the 14 week Out Season on the bike. I am quite happy with the results!

Week 1: 24.9 mph 40 minute test @ 149 HR

Week 5: I converted to Power and tested again
VO2: 245
FTP: 202

Week 8:
VO2: 270
FTP: 215

Week 14
VO2: 288
FTP: 95% of 252 = 239



As soon as I finished the 20 minute FTP ride I had to stop and get Ava. She only slept about 30 minutes. Later in the day when she slept again I jumped back on to finish the workout. I ended up riding an extra ten minutes so I got 70 minuted done.

Tuesday morning(today) I was going to swim, but I am not feeling good at all after going to bed at 8 pm. I think I have been hit with the bug after being with my kids all day. I hope to run test tomorrow if all goes according to plan!

No comments: