Monday, February 18, 2013

Teacher Thoughts on Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking Part 1

I am in the process of reading Quiet:The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I am about 100 pages in the book and I feel the need to stop and talk about what I have read. This book is really spinning me around quite a bit because I feel like I am reading this at a pivotal time in my teaching career. As a whole, I am an introvert. I have strived very hard to work on "introvertness" to come out of my shell and take on the traits of extroverts. I feel like I have made some pretty huge strides. Reading this book is helping me to understand that perhaps who I am is okay!

Secondly, we live in a world that stresses teamwork, communication, sociability, group activities, etc. I see this in schools and in the real world. Reading this book is a good reminder that there are times that this does not always serve the main goal at hand. There are times and situations where being an introvert is better or at least acceptable.

Third, without going on a major rant because I know my longer posts rarely get read all the way, but this book hits me right on the head as we look at how we go about screening for our gifted education program and this is giving me pause to stop and rethink things a bit before shaking things up.

Enough of my personal thoughts with the reading. I will break these thoughts down into smaller, simpler chunks than this long rant that I am currently on.

So, for now the beginning of the book opens with some key examples of important works of art, ideas, and influence all from introverts.





Reading Quiet by Susan Caindd


My question for you is twofold:

 

1. What are your general thoughts about introverts?

 

2. What other important elements of life, history, arts, etc. have come from introverts that are not on this list above?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think introverts just like extroverts have importance and purpose in life. we need both! Who are we to say one is better or worse than the other. sounds like you are finding comfort in being yourself. Wasn't Thomas Edison an introvert?