Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Teacher Thoughts on Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking Part 2

I am in the process of reading Quiet:The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Instead of going off on one big rant I am breaking my thoughts, questions, concerns up into smaller bite size bits of wisdom.

You can check out the earlier thoughts over in the sidebar of the blog.

I shared this image on Instagram the other day, but I did not take time to talk about it. This statement really stood out to me. I think as a general population this statement rings true. We tend to follow the more outspoken people whether that is in a staff meeting, concert, parties, etc. We gravitate towards these people because they have the confidence to share their thoughts and ideas. What I find striking is that there is no data to support this stereotype or should I dare say misconception(or possible misconception as some are really bright and intelligent).

As an educator of gifted children I know firsthand this to be true. I have students who rarely speak and have a very hard time talking and engaging in conversation. It is sometimes hard to not wonder if they are as gifted as the numbers and data show, but you know deep down there is something amazing inside. The key is to find ways to bring these wonderful ideas and insights to the surface. The goal here is not to make them something they are not, but to help understand and develop tools to held aid them in engaging with others so that perhaps their creative outlets can bring positive change to the world.

I am curious about your thoughts about this statement? What do you think, do you perceive talkers as smarter?
  upload

No comments: