Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Book Review: Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.











My Thoughts

I don't know where to begin. For one, I know I am way behind in finally reading this book. Second, despite not being  a teenage anymore I can still feel the issues of growing up. I don't think it is something that ever leaves you. The years of middle school and high school contain so many feelings, thoughts, and moments of life that even when you grow up and move on beyond the idiosyncrasies of this stage of life you can always sit and feel and remember those years.

Reading this book put me back into that place. There are simply way too many quotes and passages from the book for me to even begin to cite a few here in this review. My copy is going to be marked, highlighted and scribbled in more than any other fiction book I have read.

I hate to compare this book to other books because one comparing does not do justice to the parties being compared(as discussed in the book), but I cannot help but think of Catcher in the Rye. I know this has been shared, discussed, and argued all over the web, but I have to compare. I read Catcher in the Rye every year. It is a must re-read for me. It connected with me in high school unlike any other book I read during that stage in my life. I am sure this book does the same with anyone reading it during their teen years. In many ways it is like the quote from the book(I had to give one!)

“And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.”  

Whether it is music or books everyone has a connection to the movement and mood of the elements. We all take away certain aspects and make it our own. It almost feels like we are the only one who has these connections, but really there are many. The power of words allows us to feel that things are specifically for us.

This will to my all time favorite read lists. I need to read again along with some of my other books like Catcher and begin to compare and process. This is not a one time read book. I think it is one that you have to read again and see what you missed.

If you are like me and you have not read this book, then don't wait any longer. Don't miss out on this novel. I am glad I read it. I wish I did not wait so long, but there is always a reason for the way things work out. Go live your life!

The movie is up next for me.

No comments: