Thursday, October 17, 2013

Reflecting on my presentations from #ITEC13


I always take time to reflect on everything I do. I reflect on teaching ideas, current thoughts, experiments, and presentations.

I have found that the one thing that has helped since I started presenting is to write down my reflections.

For ITEC13 I really struggled to form my thoughts into a proper presentation. I had so many ideas in my head that I could not really establish a flow to my delivery. I did not want to just go through a million ideas with no purpose. I wanted to connect the tools to a much larger idea.

I developed at least 5 slide decks for each presentation and was never really happy with any of them.

Finally, I did what I know how to do best.....

I went to my PLN and started asking for help. I received great insight from many.

Scott McLeod was SUPER AWESOME and talked with me for about a half hour one day that really was the turning point. He helped to guide me to a clearer focus. In many ways I felt like he was in my head because each question he posed lead me to the answer that I knew I had in my head but could not get out.

My slide decks continued to develop late into Sunday night. By the end I developed about 73 slides for one and 82 for the other. When I started both had about 40 slides.

I was fortunate enough to have both sessions full of people. Perhaps it was the clever nerdy titles, but I hope that I delivered and left them happy. I felt blessed to have a crowd.

I tried out several new things.

1. I brought props to show. This was a huge success. Next time I will bring more and do more hands on and get the crowd to use the tools as we go.

2. I used a backchannel. This is something I always wanted to do. This was the most beneficial piece for me. I will never present without this again. It is too valuable.

I was able to generate more help and answer questions online that the 50 minutes did not allow for. It is amazing how fast 50 minutes goes by.

For my first session I went back and created a note guide from the backchannel. You can see an example here - Speedgeeking with Coffeechug.

One of the cool things was feedback about my presentation. You never gain any real feedback about how things go. I felt good about things when I read comments like

Fabulous session; wish I'd been there for the whole thing! Thanks for all your info!

Great job! Best session yet!

Best session I've been to today. Inspiring!

Great session. Lots of good information in a short period of time. Kids are lucky to have you.

This is what it is all about. Not the patting on my back, but spreading a message, ideas, tools, etc. that others take back with them to change their teaching. I don't present because I like to be up front and center of attention. I present because it challenges me and my thinking. It allows me to share what I am learning. I want to help others. I want to share. I want to be a resource. Even better than all of the above is the networking that develops. I am having conversations on Twitter with other amazing educators that I was not connected with prior. I am now challenged to help them while staying on top of my game. It is a circle of positive challenges that does nothing but enhance more people and teaching across the globe.

I was nervous about these sessions. In the end I feel like they were two of my best presentations that I have delivered. Thank you again to everyone who attended and look forward to Speed Geeking my thoughts again in the future.

No comments: