Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Teach Like A Pirate Poster + Aurasma = Awesome Classroom Poster

This morning I set out to finalize and test a dazzling idea for my classroom this fall. After reading Teach Like A Pirate by Dave Burgess and talking with @Jepsen on Twitter about making a poster for our classrooms I decided to put my words into action.

I started off creating a poster using www.postermywall.com because it is free to use and if I want to make it a poster it is not that expensive.

This was my first creation



It is quite busy and has a lot of information. This reflects my life and actually something I am working on which is decluttering and simplifying my life.

I threw this out on Twitter and asked for feedback and luckily I connected with the amazing @swise_bc who not only took time to give feedback, but helped to simplify my poster and making it even better.

With her guidance and advice I was able to tweak this poster to this


I did add a new phrase so maybe she will tell me it is too much. I like it. Talking with her she gave me the idea of using AR which is something I have always wanted to add to my classroom.

I downloaded Aurasma which is a free app that allows for AR(augmented reality). I went ahead and created a little test. If you have Aurasma on your phone go ahead and focus on the blue oval. You will see my test image.

My plan for this poster is to have this sit outside my classroom. I will change and add different things as needed throughout the year so I can keep one poster, but constantly change the content. I will add another layer to the Lego image, but need to work on getting that to show my Bio page on my blog or perhaps I was thinking of making a short video bio of myself using Lego.

I just wanted to share how exciting my day has started. I cannot wait to get this poster ready for the upcoming school year. Here are some things that I would love to hear back from you on.

1. Do you think I should modify the poster in anyway? What would you change?
2. What would be some good ideas of adding the AR element of this poster?
3. What are other great ideas to entice students to be excited about entering the classroom?



No comments: