Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Book Blogger Appreciation Week Questions

Just in case you didn't know it is Book Blogger Appreciation week. I read and follow about 20-25 blogs a day and many of them have been asking each other questions to celebrate the week. Being that I am not quite popular enough yet to be contacted by anyone(yet, give it time) I have gathered some of the questions being passed around. I will provide my answers and if you would like to comment with your own answers, then more power to you. We can never have too much knowledge floating around in cyberspace.


1. Does a book's cover influence your decision to read it or like it? What are some of your favorite book covers?


I wish I could say "No, covers mean nothing and it is based purely on the words." However, that would be a major lie. I pick up books based on the cover all the time and in many cases start reading without even reading the back. I am a sucker for covers that are not typical. Some of my favorites........

1. Ice Shock because of the cool plastic neon color sleeve

2. The Night Angel Trilogy(paperback). This is an adult series, but the simple design with the main character always forces me to pick them up in the book store even though I own them and have read them.

3. Any book by Kurt Vonnegut. I can pick his books out instantly. There is nothing too amazing about them, but I recognize the layout and color scheme more than any other book(s).


2. Vampires, werewolves, zombies, fairies, or other?

I am sick and tired of vampires. I fought my way through the Twilight series( I was hooked on book one, hated book two, book three was up and down, loved the first 400 pages of the book four, but hated the rest). I love werewolves(as long as they are not in love with vampires) and zombies. I have a hard time with fairies unless they are cannibals or something deranged. Any other monster is fair game in my book. Give me something shocking and crazy and I am hooked.


3. If you could pick only one book you've read this year (2009) to recommend above all others, which would it be, and why?


This is a tough question because I have read so many great books. The key element is deciding on one that you would be able to read again and again without it losing value. I cannot pick just one so I will break it up into young adult and adult.


1. Young Adult: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson


I used this book as a book club last year and I just could not put it down. The girl has some real identity issues and deals with life through not eating. This author is amazing and I have yet to read anything by her I do not like.


2. Adult: Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind


Besides the fact that it was 800 pages and I honestly was never bored reading it is a no brainer. I love sci-fi/fantasy realm. This book has everything that I could ask for and more. The series is forever long and I will probably never read them all, but it is my goal to tackle a few a year. I have not been so entertained with the written word in a long time. Not suitable for middle school, but one day when they grow up they will be able to experience this awesome book. Book 2 in the series sits in my TBR pile after all these young adult books.



4. Imagine some captors locked you in a room and forced you to watch just one movie for a whole week with no break. What movie would it be?


This is so easy. Wayne's World. How can you go wrong with a movie that is a comedic masterpiece. Party on Wayne, Party on Garth.


5. What is one type of book you will never read?


Romance. Never is a strong word, but I cannot get into the lovey-dovey stuff. I don't mind if it helps create a conflict of interest in the storyline, but no Fabio cover novels are going to be read by me. I would rather read this same old book about bugs to my son 10,000 times more than read a romance novel about love. However, I just realized I probably jinxed myself and will find myself reading one in the near future. Karma always finds a way. Aghhhh!


6. What are two books you'd insist that every 11-12 year-old you meet should read?


Such a tough question because two is so small. However, if I were to recomend two novels that I think are worth the time of every student, then I will go with....


1. Hunger Games - the best book that I have read in the last 2-3 years.

2. Unwind - this is a tie with Hunger Games. This one forces you to think about life and future. This one could lead to a great conversation about many social topics and other books like Compound.



7. What is the best thing that's happened to you since blogging?


The fact that teachers actually read this. Well, they used to anyway. I let them know that I was creating this blog and the hits have been increasing everyday. I hope that more and more students find this to be a resource and my aspirations would be to make this a vehicle for me to communicate with students about books and the randomness of life. I would also like to be like the other cool bloggers out there who get to review books and interview authors. I am still learning about the proper channels to do this, but it is in my goals for this school year.


8. What is the meaning of life?


I have no idea. I still cannot figure out the simple things like why my children have 1,000 toys and they never touch them, but will be entertained for 2 hours with a paperclip, a piece of paper, and the Tupperware drawer. I do believe that the journey to find the meaning of life is a constant cycle of seeking answers to questions. When we lose our curiosity on life then we lose the greatest gifts....thought/reason, wonder, and love. Party on Wayne!


9. What is my six word memoir?(I added this after reading the book)


Everyday is different yet so perfect


or


My addictions: coffee, music, family, books

or

My whole world is 100% ADHD

or

What are you staring at swan?

No comments: