Saturday, August 21, 2010

Book Review: Catching Fire

Whenever you read a book and later find out it is going to be a trilogy you always worry about the second book. I think movies are always worse when it comes to trilogies, but books can be the same way. You know that essentially the second book/movie is just a bridge between the amazing and coolness of the first part and the final WOW factor the third and final part to the series. Many times I have started a series, loved the first book and slowly my excitement for future titles slowly fades as the storyline loses my interest. CATCHING FIRE is not this way.

Holy Cow, Batman! This book was incredible. I honestly think it was just as good as the first book HUNGER GAMES. I have not been this excited for a new book release since the final book in the Harry Potter series and hung out at midnight at a bookstore. Catching Fire might be my favorite read of 2010 so far. Yes, I know I am a little behind in reading this book, but it was intentional. I held off reading it as I wanted to read it right before the third book was released to keep everything fresh in my mind. From some miracle from above I was never provided any of the storyline of this book. Amazing, right?

As many of you know, Catching Fire continues the story of Katniss and Peeta after they tricked the Capitol in the Hunger Games and were able to keep themselves alive after fighting and killing off the rest of the kids selected from the twelve districts.

Here is the summary/description from Amazon

Warning: Includes THG spoilers.Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

I started off this book and at first was not really blown away by the storyline. The little love debacle of Katniss was wearing on me, but soon I was hooked and this book never left my side. I understand the love conflict as that is one of the driving factors of this storyline(like pretty much every book). The action, suspense, violence, new ideas from the author were all mind blowing. I could go on and on about this book. The only book that might be better would be the first book. This might go down as the best series ever depending on how book three pans out. That is a big plate to fill as I was blow away by Harry Potter during the craziness of that series. Tuesday is the big day.

Here are some links that I came across while reading http://www.teenreads.com/
» Click here to read more about MOCKINGJAY.


» Click here to read an interview with Suzanne Collins.

» Click here to read Suzanne Collins’s bio.

» Click here to visit the official website of The Hunger Games series.

No comments: