Thursday, August 26, 2010

Half Marathon Training - Week 8 - Thursday

I have not posted yet this week about the training. As I get back in the swing of school I have began to transform the blog back to more book reviews and middle school type posting. However, my training has not stopped at all.

Monday - I was very sore from my 11 mile run on Sunday. I was tight and it took a while to get my body going for the day. I did not run, but we did lift. We followed the same lifting as the week before.
his morning we did workout.
We completed the following workout. It was a good one.

1a Incline Bench 5 x 5 (70%,75%,80%,85%, 70%)
1b. Seated Cable Row 5 x 5 (70%,75%,80%,85%, 70%)

2a. DB Bench 2 x 10
2b. One Arm Row 2 x 10 each side
 
The following lifts are done using a TRX Suspension Trainer
3a. Suspended Push-Up - max out
3b. Inverted Row - max out

We wrapped up with some various TRX lifts like curls, I/Y/T, and a few others

Tuesday - I was scheduled for an easy 3 mile run. I was still sore and legs felt tired, but the run really helped to knock off the soreness and get me back on track. I ran the 3.03 miles in 27:42 for an 9:08 pace. It felt nice and easy. However, I got home and when I check the pace I realized that is the pace I need to run the half marathon in to meet my goal of under two hours. YIKES!

Wednesday - In the morning I lifted weights focusing on the legs. I have to force myself to do legs during this training as it is easy to find excuses to not lift. However, it really does help improve strength, running times, and muscle fatigue and soreness. 

We performed the following workout
1. Squat 5 x 5
2. Dumbbell Split Squat 2 x 10 each leg
3a. Suspended Pistol Squat with TRX Suspension 2 x max
3b. Hanging Knee Raise 2 x max

I was supposed to run 3 miles, but as the day wore on it became later and later. By 8:45 I decided it was too late to run as I know my body. It would have taken at least until 10:30 to cool down and start to become tired. I felt it was not worth risking my sleep for a 3 mile run. I decided to play it safe and not run. I don't need my body wearing out now. I have put too much time in for things to fall apart now.

Thursday - Today or I should say this morning I had to run a 7 mile run with 5 miles at a  9:00 pace. I felt really good this morning. I took a gel pack, noticed the nice bright moon, 57 degree weather, some good old country music, and took off. As I started to run my body just felt like it was ready to be pushed. Being that I did not run last night I decided to push it a little bit harder than usual. I did this for two reasons.
1. The weather was perfect to push myself as I knew I would not overheat and sweat too much.
2. Mental Toughness - I need to pick up some of my runs to allow myself to realize that I can achieve my goal. I need to get out there and push to convince myself that I am on the right track.
I ran 7.35 miles in 1 hour 23 seconds. This put me at a 8:12 pace. I did not feel tired at all at the end of the run and my legs don't feel fatigued at all either. This was a huge confidence booster. I can add about another 45-50seconds to this pace for another 6 miles and there is my half marathon goal. This felt like one of my best runs to date besides any official races.

I have a 4 mile run tomorrow and a 13 mile run Sunday. Sunday will be a good check for me.
"Attempt easy tasks as if they were difficult and difficult as if they were easy."

No comments: