Thursday, September 23, 2010

Half Marathon Training – Week 12 - 3 Days to Race Day!

I went out for a run this morning. I did a 3 mile run in which I ran 4 speed intervals dispersed through the running. I ended up running the 3 miles in 23 minutes for a 7:52 mile pace. I planned to run faster than my race pace to build up some lactic acid threshold, foot turnover rate, and just to make myself get ready.

I have been training now for 3 months and that is a long time. I feel like I missed my peak about two weeks ago. The weekend of September 11th I felt great where I ran my 13.1 run in 1 hour 53 minutes. Since that run I have really lost my motivation and belief in myself. I am not sure what is going on. Last week I did not get run like I had planned. That was my fault, but leaving for my weekend in Chicago really through everything for a loop. I was short running about 14 miles and this week I just don't feel like I have it me.

The quote, "Motivation is what gets you started. Heart is what keeps you going." really has a lot of truth to it right now. I have been motivated to run, lose weight and stay fit. I have stayed right around the weight that I want to be at(actually would like to drop about 8 lbs more)and have proven to myself that I can run and run at a pretty solid pace. My motivation has been there. Now I just need to work on my heart. Believing in myself and believing that I can achieve a good time in this race Sunday. I have three days to figure this out and then the results will be in the pudding. I spend a large part of my day working with students and players believing in themselves and trying to teach them that the hard work does pay off. It is time for me to listen to my own advice.

I will not do any running or lifting tomorrow. I will let my body rest. Saturday I will go out and do a really light run to keep body loose. Sunday I will see what I am made of bright and early. Sunday I will run well. The positive self talk begins now.

No comments: