Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Half Marathon Training – Week 9 Recap and Week 10 Intro


Last week was another good week of training. Let’s take a look back at what the week had in store for me.
Monday: No running, but I did do some lifting. Completed the following program
Workout 1
1a Incline Bench 5 x 5 (70%,75%,80%,85%, 70%)
1b. Seated Cable Row 5 x 5 (70%,75%,80%,85%, 70%)

2a. DB Bench 2 x 10
2b. One Arm Row 2 x 10 each side
 
The following lifts are done using a TRX Suspension Trainer
3a. Suspended Push-Up - max out
3b. Inverted Row - max out
Tuesday: A nice slow run to work out the extreme soreness I had in my legs from running the 13 miles and golfing 18 holes afterwards. 3 miles in 30 minutes at a 9:51 pace.
Wednesday: No running. I was to run 3 miles, but my legs were tired from the leg workout from the morning. We completed the following routine:
Workout 2
1.       Squat 5 x 5 70%, 75%, 80%, 75 %, 85%
2.       DB Split Squat 2 x 10
3.        
a.      Suspended Pistol Squat  2 x max(TRX)
b.      Hanging Knee Raise 2 x max
This week has been crazy busy with meetings between my wife and I both having Open House, content meeting, Lego Robotic Parent meetings, etc.
Thursday: A tough workout. These 4 x 1 mile runs always tear me up. I modified a little bit as I started to get rained on, but still completed necessary running.
1 mile: warmup at around 9:50 pace
2 mile: ran this mile at a 7:08 pace. Probably the fastest mile I have ran since being a kid. Felt good to move at this pace.
2.5 mile: half mile cool down at around 8:55 pace
4 mile: Ran a 1.5 mile run in fear of getting poured on instead of running just the 1 mile. Ran the 1.5 mile in 7:20 mile pace. Felt good, but legs starting to get tired and breathing heavy.
4.5 mile: Another half mile cool down at 8:58 pace
6.13 mile: Another 1.5 mile to get off the track. Ran this at 7:21 mile pace.
The projected workout goal was to run the miles at 8:15 pace. I was about a minute ahead of my target which is good for me. It felt good to get after it this morning.
Friday: I ran 2 miles to the Y to complete the following workout
I then ran 2 miles back home. I was to run only 3 miles, but figured the way the miles are split and running at a slower pace I will be fine for my long run Sunday. I have a 11 mile run scheduled for Sunday. I would really like to push myself on this run if body is up for it to see what I am made out of. Will keep you posted.
Workout 3
1a. Shoulder Press 5 x 5
1b. Pull Up 5 x 5
2a. DB Shoulder Press 2 x 10
2b. Assisted Chinup 2 x 10
3a. Dive Bomber Pushup 1 x max
3b. Suspended Chinup 1 x max (TRX)
We also performed Atomic Pushups using two TRX trainers and Low Rows. Holy Cow! The atomic pushup is a killer.
Saturday – rested up for my final big push of a run on Sunday. Sore from lifting yesterday.
Sunday – I felt really good Sunday. Not sure why, but I wanted to take off at a good pace and get used to the idea of running at a 9:09 pace for my race. Well, I ran even better than that and finished the 13.1 mile run in 1 hour and 53 minutes. I was only to run 11 miles, but I felt so good I decided to push myself for a personal best time. This really crushed my previous runs not only in total distance, but in my mile pace. I was not even that sore the rest of the day and barely sore at all the next day which is good because the last few long run I have been incredibly sore.
I ended up running an 8:41 mile pace for the duration of the run. This is a 50 second improvement from last week when I really did not think I could run much faster at the time. That is a huge improvement. I am still dumbfounded by my increase in speed. I need to get back to eating healthy and staying focused. With all the recent stress I have fallen behind a little. Anyways, I burned 2316 calories with my mile splits being 9:22/9:04/9:00/8:41/8:55/8:44/8:32/8:40/8:42/8:30/8:17/8:16/8:11
Monday – Labor Day – I was a slob all day felt gross about myself. I know it is good to have a day to be that way, but I felt nauseous from the way I ate. That is a sign that my eating habits have improved as the day I went away from eating healthy my body felt sick and I just did not feel right. It was nice to be back in school and establish my routine of healthy eating.
Tuesday – performed my lifting for the workout scheduled on Monday.
Workout 1
1a Incline Bench 5 x 5 (70%,75%,80%,85%, 70%)
1b. Seated Cable Row 5 x 5 (70%,75%,80%,85%, 70%)

2a. DB Bench 2 x 10
2b. One Arm Row 2 x 10 each side
 
The following lifts are done using a TRX Suspension Trainer
3a. Suspended Push-Up - max out
3b. Inverted Row - max out
We added in TRX T lifts, bicep curls, and triceps to finish things off.
I was supposed to run tonight, but after getting my car that broke down in Lowes parking lot yesterday and fixing my computer that crashed(I lost many files and time in the process) I just did not have time. Will run tomorrow and get back on track.

No comments: