Saturday, January 1, 2011

Book Review: Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill

Title: Black Hole Sun
Author: David Macinnis Gill
YA Science Fiction
Pages: 340 (Hardcover)



Synopsis: (jacket flap)
Durango is playing the cards he was dealt. And it’s not a good hand.
He’s lost his family.
He’s lost his crew.
And he’s got the scars to prove it.
You don’t want to mess with Durango.

My Thoughts

This is my first read of 2011. I woke up early today and knocked this book out. I will tell you that I knew very little about this book. I started reading the book without any knowledge of the plot of what it would be about. I wanted to read the novel because I came across some good reviews and it kept popping up as a book suggestion on Amazon. I never really read anything about, but just decided to start reading it.

This book is recommended for grades 9 and up and I would agree. There is so much action in this book that I could not believe it. But this was great action. Full out action sequences with Durango, the main character, fighting blood thirsty creatures called Draeu on Mars. Durango is 16 years old and commands a small group of Regulators to help protect some miners. That is what Durango does. He takes on jobs for money to help people. This is one job that he gets a  little over his head.

I am not sure how much I want to share about the plot. I think it is best to read it unaware like I did. I will repeat that about every page has an action sequence of guns, lasers, explosions, sleds, killing, bloody fight scenes, military tactics, etc. I think you get the idea. Even though it is packed with nonstop action don't doubt the plot. There are several plot lines going on as you continue to read. There is more to Durango that what you know. His comrade Vivien is a strong female character. Mimi is the symbionic device that helps Durango is so cool. I almost want to be plugged in to have my own Mimi.

I loved this book. What a great way to start off the 2011 reading year. It ends with hopes of a new adventure, but there is closure which is fantastic because I am getting tired of reading books that leave you hanging on for the next book in the series.
I don't feel my review is doing the book justice, but I don't want to share any more info. This is an awesome read if you like fighting, blood, military tactics, bombs, lasers, killing, etc. Definitely for an older reader, but a book that is starting off on top of my favorite reads for 2011.


If you want more info or other reviews that probably do a better job, then just check out his page for more info.




No comments: