Saturday, February 26, 2011

Coffee For The Brain Book Tournament - Round 4 - Red Kayak vs. Fallen


Comparing Red Kayak to Fallen is difficult because I enjoyed both of them very much. They are two very different reads, which makes the decision even more difficult. Fallen keeps the reader's interest with its love triangle between Cam, Daniel, and Luce. I like how the reader isn't always sure who is best for Luce until the very end when some of the mystery behind Luce's problems and past are explained. The ending leaves things open for the sequel (I think it's Torment).

Red Kayak makes the reader think about friendship, right and wrong, and making difficult decisions--sometimes very grown-up decisions. Brady is caught between helping his friends and helping his neighbor who has suffered a great loss. 

Because I have to make a choice, I choose Red Kayak. Brady has to make some hard choices, and I think this shows young readers that doing the right thing is not always the easy thing. We had some good discussions in our book clubs about the course of action Brady should take and what the consequences should be for his friends.

No comments: