Sunday, April 3, 2011

Book Review: Wither by Lauren Destrefano

Title: Wither
Author: Lauren Destafano
Website: http://www.laurendestefano.com/


Book Synopsis from her website:


What if you knew exactly when you would die?
Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.
When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.
But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limted time she has left.

WITHER, the first book in The Chemical Garden Trilogy, is due to be out in 2011 by Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers.

My Thoughts

I love dystopia like the millions of others who are into this genre. There is just something about the aspect of a story where life seems so bad and someone has to take stand to change the world. When I heard about Wither I knew I had to read this story. Prior to even reading the first page I just had that feeling that this book/series is going to be the next big thing. I don't think my feelings were too far off.

I love the atmosphere of this story. It is a world wonderfully created and contains many things that really make you think about "Is life really that bad?" Rhine lives in this home/mansion where she is given anything she wants except her freedom. However, Rhine begins to realize the what is going on behind the scenes is enough for her to try and leave. I don't want to give anything away, but I have a request for the author

  • I want to know more about the basement and what all goes on down there
  • I want to know about the rest of the world in terms of what is going on outside of this home
You have to read this book. Even if you feel that you cannot possibly read another dystopia novel, please give this one a try. The chemistry between the sister wives and all the little plot elements that unravel while you read is just too good to pass up. 

I did have a few places where I thought the author was going to lose my interest and then I turned the page and BAM! I was smacked hard in my reading face with a new plot element. 

If you cannot tell I really want to share with you guys some specifici reasons why this book is so great, but I just cannot ruin it for you.

This book is moving on to the top of my reading lists this year over on my 2011 reading page.

Great storyline
Great characters
Great dystopia feel
Great atmosphere

And yes it does end in a huge cliffhanger



No comments: