Sunday, May 22, 2011

Book Journey: Game of Thrones - Reading Update #2

About a week ago I started reading Game of Thrones. Being that this does not read like a YA novel(which is what I typically read) I decided to post my thoughts throughout the read. I posted my initial thoughts on the first hundred pages or so.

At this point I am about 40% through the book at page 327.

I love this book. I am absorbed and love it. I cannot stop reading it. The problem is that I don't have much time to read between getting caught up in all my work after taking a week off, having a new baby who likes to stay up all night, and finding time for my other two kids.

With that being said I am still reading. I have so many great books that came in at the library(go figure they come in when I don't have time....where were you books last week while I was in the hospital?) and don't think I can put this book down to read them before returning.

The plot lines are getting intense. There are so many backstabbing story line developing. I am not sure who is good. Actually, that is what I like so much about the book. Unlike YA, these characters have moments of good, but are human and are bad as well. Nobody is a "perfect" character. Right when you start to like a character you find out a possible scenario that makes them unlikable.

I am finally getting a grasp of alliances and who belongs to what family line while reading. I don't have to reference the back as much. I did print off a family tree guide provided by HBO for the TV series.

I love the imp, Tyrion. I don't know why, but I always know we are in for something interesting when he is around. I don't want to post any spoilers so I will stay away from talking plot here in the post.

I have marked some passages. I find them to hold some great ideas and truths to life. Here are a few that I really liked and stood out to me. Don't worry, no spoilers.

"Every flight begins with a fall." - from the crow
So true. This was relevant as my kids are trying to learn how to ride their bikes.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"........"That is the only time a man can be brave."

"All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die." This stood out to me not only as a battle strategy, but in life. We are all vulnerable and can be pierced if we don't protect ourselves. I just really liked this quote.

This one cracks me up. This is in reference to the singing abilities of a character. "Pyp says his voice is piss poured over a fart."

I am obsessed. I think I will be reading this whole series this summer. I will have to keep reading to find out what is going to happen next. My new nerdy soap opera.

No comments: