Saturday, May 21, 2011

Music Journey: Pearl Jam - Stop #1: Ten - Once and Even Flow

The memories this cd brings back to me. I had this on cassette tape. I listened to this tape nonstop all day everyday growing up. I remember singing at the top of my lungs to this tape while in the shower as if the water could help my vocals sound like Eddie Vedder.

Is it not amazing how singing in the shower or car you have those moments when you feel like you are really singing as good as the lead singer?

This album starts off with "Once"

Could you not ask for a better opener with the slow build up to start which is like getting in a little jog to loosen up the joints for a long run. Then, "BOOM" Eddie starts singing and the guitars take off.

"Once upon a time I could lose myself". Such great lyrics. The ending with Eddie singing, "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" is such a great closer and prepares your for the beautiful track "Even Flow"

I have to pause my music because I cannot listen and type at the same time.

How did I not add "Even Flow" to my favorite PJ song on my earlier post? Am I stupid. This was the song that I used to think I sounded like Eddie.

Once again very simple lyrics that can be read in a multitude of ways.

Freezin', rests his head on a pillow made of concrete, again.
Oh, feelin' maybe he'll see a little better set a days, ooh yeah
Oh hand out faces that he sees time again ain't that familiar, ooh yeah
Oh, dark grin he can't help when he's happy, looks insane ooh

Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies
Oh, he don't know so he chases them away-yeah
Oh, someday, yea, he'll begin his life again
Life again, Life again

Kneeling, looking through the paper though he doesn't know to read, ooh yeah
Oh, praying now to something that has never showed him anything
Oh, feeling understands the weather of the winters on its way
Oh, ceilings few and far between all the legal halls of shame, hey

The guitar is awesome in this song. Eddie once again delivers big time. I used to play the guitar during the verse portion of this song. I wish I knew how to play.

As you can tell this cd is a personal favorite of mine. Everyone has those albums that you know by heart no matter how long it has been since the last listen. This album is one of them. For personal reasons and just the fact of growing up this album was always a source of release. (Pause) I love the end solo on this song. Sorry I lost my focus

I will end this post here and continue on with some more thoughts and insights into this album tomorrow.

No comments: